Monday, October 23, 2006

Duff

I have made some cool cakes in my day, considering my lack of
  • a real chef's kitchen
  • any skills beyond what's taught in a basic Wilton III class at Michael's
  • the ability to deal with the point mid-way through the decorating when I'm sure that it will turn out to be the uuuuuuuuuuugliest cake I've ever made (this happens EVERY time)

My best one was either the cake with the marine logo (anchor, globe, rope, eagle, the works...) for a boss who had just come to our company(he bet me that I couldn't put it on a cake, so I freaking HAD TO...) , or the Bat Mizvah cake I made for the daughter of another boss. (Hey, do I know how to brownnose, or what? Let them eat cake. I will scan photos. Sometime. Perhaps. )

I live vicariously through Duff, who is the Ace of cakes. Thursday nights at 10:30. Yes, a busy time, but that's what TIVO is for dammit. Watch and learn how they make cool cakes.

PS: Duff... if you're ever in Albany and you want to hang out with a fourty .... um, never mind.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

we are having a "cake auction" as part of our fundraising for environmental camp this year (all 6th graders go)... any pointers on good cake decorating?

I'd rather have cookies!!

Carly said...

Go buy a Wilton cake magazine at Michaels - in the middle they show you all of the decorating techniques you'll ever need. The classes really are good Take Wilton 1 & 2 if you want to frost smooth, make flowers, etc.

Wilton 3 is tiered cakes.

Anonymous said...

excellent, I'll check it out. Michael's just came to the area in the spring.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...