Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Alternatives

So, it was an upside down day.

I had an IEP meeting for one of my children (where the special ed. committee reviews the year to date, and determines what services will be provided the coming school year.) Right now we get consultant teacher services after school, extended test time, and other things like that. Sometimes B takes tests in a separate room because when other kids begin to hand in their tests B shuts down because of not being done too. This first happened when B repeated first grade. There was a huge worry that "I'm going to fail again." Only time convinced B that this was not the case. This anxiety is much better this year, but still a problem, in some subjects.

My child attended for the first time this year, (because of being old enough to have a voice in the proceedings) and I was a little apprehensive because I had some intentions of confronting one teacher who doesn't always "remember" that we have an IEP (this is a BIG no-no.)

There were other complications with which teachers were present (one was uninvited, um, yeah, no.) But in the end it was a good experience for my child because we discussed particularly successful projects that happened this year. (One of them being the LONG Norman Rockwell paper.) At the end of the meeting my kid said "that's it?" so I'm not sure how much anxiety there was, but I know there was some.

My house is in a shambles and I'm sweating just THINKING about all of the work to pack stuff, move it out of the way, make decisions, order things, and so on.

My house is also rather quiet now, because the other kid is involved in drama club and is in rehearsals from immediately after school until 8 pm almost every night this week. I have to admit I miss the kid.

I really need to change some of the water in the fish tank, too. Dammit!

No comments:

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...