Saturday, December 10, 2005

Deck the halls

Keep in mind, the Carly household is inhabited by three rabid Christmas Elves, and one Grinch (moi).

I am under seige... my home is being taken over by Christmas decorations. All of my favorite framed pictures are vanishing before my eyes, going straight into the boxes where the 'trim' lurks all year long.

Boy, do we have trim. Santas of various styles and sizes. Votive holders with holiday themes. Candy dishes with Santas, holly berries, or snowmen. Wreaths and plaques on every door in the house, I'm sooo not kidding.

The cherry on top is the clock. My nice kitchen wall clock is now hidden somewhere, a location unknown to me, and in its place hangs a vile clock that plays a Christmas song at the top of every hour. Oh, the horror. I have threatened "No cookies" in order to get them to agree that they will only turn on the music "feature" today, and Christmas day.

Today the trees will go up. This is when I start feeling reeeeeeeally claus-trophobic. Yes, that was "trees", plural, because we have to have one back in the family room where we spend most evenings but we HAVE TO HAVE ONE IN THE FRONT WINDOW, YOU DON'T WANT PEOPLE THINKING WE DON'T CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS, DO YOU?

It doesn't stop there. Lighted houses underneath the trees. Oh yeah. Long garlands of "pine branches" with lights running through. Those hang over the french door, rendering the drapes completely impossible to open or close, and also along the top of my kitchen cupboards. (Yes, one year Mr. Carly DRILLED a fist-sized hole through the top of one of my brand new kitchen cabinets, so that he could plug the string of lights into the outlet used for the microwave. I left the house for the evening.)

While this decorating extravaganza is going on, I will make cookies and drink wine. Surrender seems to be the only option. Cheers!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

While you ARE a grinch, Mr Carly is rabidly insane.
-p (thinks you should start collecting dreidels)

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

It was tree day for us as well! We have an entire village of little houses and buildings, all with lights on them and they get arrainged in our front bay window.
Not my bag, bbut whatever gets the eggnog out faster.

onescrappychick said...

I recomend spiking the eggnog..helps the merriment go down easier

Anonymous said...

We have that clock!!!!! Actually, we never take it out cause it drives me nuts, so my adorable husband brought it to work and snuck it on the wall when noone was looking. He has succeeded in driving his coworkers insane with both Christmas music on the hour, and with specualtion about how that f*%$ing clock got there. We also have one with dogs that barks every hour. He's going to put that one up after Christmas. Better there than at my house.
I managed to use my 21 month old as my excuse for not putting up too many Christmas decorations this year, so just go get knocked up and you'll be all set for a few years.
And maybe Rudolph is Jesus. Paul is the walrus.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...