Friday, April 02, 2010

Good Friday


I'm writing this on Sunday... this is a scan of one of my favorite songs to sing during Lent, because I think it's beautiful. The harmony is right in the middle of my range, and I think the words are just the perfect balance of reverence and imagery.
Here's hoping that Friday comes soon and I am doing better THIS Friday than I was the Friday of chemo week last time (it was the start of a few small mistakes which added up to making me feel pretty wretched by the end of the weekend. Hopefully I will manage the side effects a little bit better this time!) I am really hoping to go to church Saturday night and Sunday morning. We shall see.
I am reminded every Good Friday of a youth conference I attended in Niagara Falls (back when I was a Lutheran...and about 16 years old, getting one of my first kisses on a bench in a park overlooking Niagara Falls... set the bar pretty high there huh?) There was a preacher who spoke to us and the theme was "It's Friday... Sunday's coming." He put us into the mindset of the apostles... It's Friday now and things are dark, you are discouraged and everything seems bleak and hopeless. But Sunday is coming. Sunday all will be made new, and right. He reiterated this idea a number of ways and got a bunch of high school kids VERY much into hanging on his every word. He grew progressively more enthusiastic and he knew he had us. At the end of his sermon he screamed "IT'S FRIDAY!" and we all screamed back "SUNDAY'S COMING!!!" and that is how I feel right now.

3 comments:

onescrappychick said...

Awesome.. what a great way to think about Easter, and life in general.

Anonymous said...

Inspirational!

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite posts so far. Just remember, there will soon be a guest room and a bottle of wine with your name on it, here in PA. (if all goes according to plan!) We will celebrate when all of your suffering is over. Just remember that we all learn something very special from our suffering. I hope you know that your friends and family love you very much. Hang in there...
xxoo

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...