Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A perfect day


In 1791, Thomas Jefferson wrote "Lake George is without comparison the most beautiful water I ever saw. Its water is limpid as crystal and the mountainsides are covered with rich groves of fir, pine, aspen, and birch down to the waters edge".


Kayaking was great, I absolutely loved it. Except I was a little spazzy; instead of a straight line my boat was often swizzling. Dammit. I may have hit my brother in law's boat several times; I actually almost put the front end of my boat up and on his once. He's a very good sport.

For those of you who know the Sagamore, we started on the north side of that island, went around it clockwise, then down along the west side of the lake in the general direction heading toward Million Dollar beach (but not very far down, the water was too choppy). Then we went back, ducked under the bridge that goes to the Sagamore from the mainland, and went up north an hour or so. Finally I decided I'd had enough (to my BIL's relief) so we went back. We spent about 3 1/2 hours on the water (I'd still be there if I could).

I am soooooo putting "buy a kayak" on my list of life goals.

3 comments:

Sgt said...

You should check at second hand sports shops. They generally have a Kayak or two for decent prices.. and if you go a lot, saves the rental costs till you get the nice shiny "SS Carley".

onescrappychick said...

Hey.. have you been looking at my list?!?! LOL

At the top of the list, to accommodate all the things below it that involve water... is "Buy a lake house".

Sound heavenly however.. glad you enjoyed yourself.

Carly said...

Love the idea for a name Sgt. I think realistically I will have to buy used. Too many orthodontia payments, you know?

Beth, the Sagamore has condos for sale. Just saying, we could share.

:-)

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...