Wednesday, November 08, 2006

It was fun while it lasted

Today is my last day of being 40. Somehow that depresses me more than the last day of 39. Not sure why. (Wait, I know, ...no big huge party this weekend.)

My friend Chris Callaghan lost his election, of course (the words "sacrificial lamb" have been bandied about at various times during his campaign). His concession speech was vintage Chris - jokes like "Well, I guess my wife is going to have to continue to drive herself around." The thing that annoys me is that he was making jokes the entire time, and yet the Times Useless showed a photo of him looking incredibly downcast. Hello! Tell the actual story... not the one you want to portray (of a befuddled, downcast, losing candidate....)

But if you voted, that's GOOD. The process works. Not always 100% smoothly...(WTF, why is it so hard to have electronic voting machines that work right, when I can buy a corndog and a pepsi damn near anywhere in the country with a tiny piece of plastic...)

If you didn't vote, get your act together and vote next year. When I'm 41. :::sulk::::

5 comments:

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

You're only as old as you act - so you go girl.

Sgt said...

Guess that makes Shamus about 7.

Happy Early Birthday!

Mine was this past Saturday, to which my oldest daughter asked how old I was. When I replied, she said "Oh... I thought you were like 50 or something".

I'll sure miss her while she's off to the nunery. ;-)

Carly said...

thanks Shamus! Wait, are you saying I'm immature?? LOL

Sgt., my daughter was the one who smirked and said to me "Are you enjoying your last day of being FOURTY?" There I was, just minding my own business.... sigh.

Anonymous said...

many happy returns of the day!

Johnny Virgil said...

It's not so bad. You get used to the aches and pains.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...