Sunday, March 20, 2005

Spies in Sunglasses

Author's note: edited.... this item was originally posted without proofreading. I really should mention to my husband that I have this blog. It's not like I trash him in it, for pete's sake, so why don't I want him reading it? The only reason I have come up with so far is that he might say "Don't you have housework to be doing?"

Right now my kids are outside playing "Spy". They are wearing hats and sunglasses, even though it's 41 degrees out and slightly raining. Oh, they have mittens on too.

The "gear" apparently protects them from some sort of "rays" that the bad guys have, which otherwise are apparently able to knock them out. Their weapons right now seem to consist of water guns and little bottles of bubble-blowing solution. Apparently this game required a notebook of some sort (an old spiral notebook I willingly handed over, received as though it was The Coolest Spy Notebook Ever.) Big drama broke out when the two way radios couldn't be found. Mom to the rescue -- one was in the backpack.

Cost of amusement for today... batteries for the radios. No lessons, uniforms, or fast-food-dinner-because-we're-late will be required. Smug? Perhaps. Twenty years ago a college classmate was reading "The Hurried Child", warning of overscheduling your child in all manner of team sports, music lessons, et cetera. No one listened, apparently, except me.

3 comments:

Johnny Virgil said...

I totally rock at that game. Next time they play invite me over.

Erik with a K said...

90% of my time until I was 12 was spent doing goof crap like that, either by myself or with neighborhood kids. Its essential to good development...

'course, you might end up like me, so it's a fine line...

armalicious said...

Yeah, my hubby doesn't know the URL to my blog, either. He knows I have it though and then he just makes fun of me. Until I start making fun of his fantasy baseball...

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...