Thursday, March 24, 2005

See you in a few days

Many of you know that I'm in my church's choir. This is the week that we have been rehearsing for since January. We sang this past Sunday morning (Palm Sunday service with the 10,000 word Gospel reading of the Passion) and evening (We have a service called Tenebrae that involves reading passages, extinguishing candles, and us singing things like this which is Italian opera and is something like "the chorus of the enslaved Jews". It was great to sing but even better to hear Stan play the beginning. )

Tonight I sing because it's Holy Thursday. Maybe
this, which is not four but EIGHT part harmony, will be tonight (I have a two page typed list from Bette to keep the songs straight....)

Tomorrow night I sing because it's Good Friday. (Hey EriK , that means NO MEAT, remember? FISH!!)


Saturday evening is the peak - two hour Easter vigil (I'm just glad they don't start it at midnight anymore) and somewhere along the line we sing this and we even throw in Mozart's Gloria for a little fun.

Sunday morning, we sing (for all the Hatched-matched-dispatched parishioners who don't usually show up other than on Easter and Christmas. They sit up in the front and don't know when to kneel or stand or do inappropriate PDA.) By then we will be sick of each seeing each other -- but not as much as we dislike
Icky Dick -- and a little hoarse.


All of this singing doesn't leave me time for important things like updating my blog. No really, all kidding aside, I wanted to wish those of you who observe these days as holidays a very Happy Easter!!

I'll close this post with one of my favorite hymns (we sing this in total darkness near the end of Tenebrae, and then one candle is lighted, and another, and the light spreads through the church as we sing.)

God so loved the world
that He gave His only begotten son
that whoso believeth in Him
should not perish but have everlasting life.
For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world,
but that the world through Him might be saved.

3 comments:

Johnny Virgil said...

So who the hell decided that fish wasn't meat? Why not? If you cut them, do they not bleed? If you eat anything, eat a salad. I don't even want to think about all the devoured fish that would still be alive today if it were not for you church goin' folks.

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

Break a leg! Wait, is that right? It doesn't seem right to say anything like "strain a vocal chord" or "faint during communion".
Well, you know what I'm trying to say.

onescrappychick said...

Mazel Tov.

Oh wait, wrong faith. (g)

Happy Easter to you and the crew.

Knock em dead!

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...