Monday, March 21, 2005

Game On

The time has come. My opponent has returned.

I caught a glimpse of the enemy last night, lurking in the shadows where he thought he would remain unseen.

I saw.

I thought to reach for my digital camera, but what good would it do to have a photo, until the crime is done? Then, it will be too late. The loss will be irreplaceable.

I heard - or did I imagine? - the soft chuckle. "I know they are there, and I will take them from you. I will have them, soon." The familiar chill went down my spine. No, not again. Not this time. No!

I must try harder to outwit him. I must surpass the pathetic attempts I have made in the past to protect what is mine. This time, it's personal.

Every - and by that I mean, for at least the past five years, EVERY spring, I wait anxiously. I look for signs. I take whatever meager precautions I have at my disposal. I am on guard. My opponent waits until I am momentarily distracted, pulled away from my vigil, then makes his sudden crushing attack. I am devastated.

If that damn rabbit eats my tulips again this year, JUST before they bloom, I'm making rabbit stew. So help me.

4 comments:

David Tellez said...

You should do what I did.

There's this dog in our neighborhood that goes into random people's yards and takes a shit, and the owner doesnt even care. We've asked the owner nicely, but he ignored us. And since we had no actual proof, it was that dog, the city said they couldnt do anything.

SO, what I did, was, mix moth balls with vegetable soup and then scattered the balls along the front yard. And even though the dog got sick (dont worry - he's still alive), he has never come back to our yard.

I know it was like a horrible thing to do, but seriously...picking up huge piles of dog shit, when it isnt even your dog, is just wrong. You know?

Carly said...

Mothballs keep them away until it rains. If I don't put mothballs out the little bugger eats my flowers the next morning and hops away laughing merrily.

Anonymous said...

I thought the deer were eating my tulips, maybe it is the rabbits... anyway, I planted daffodils all around the tulips & I guess they aren't appealing because they left the ones near the daffodils alone. good luck- I can't wait for spring to finally be here ( without snow on the ground)

onescrappychick said...

I am so insanely jealous that you even have tulips for the little bastids to eat.

We are still burried with snow

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...