Monday, July 10, 2006

He IS a double XL

SO, just a little bit more about Countryfest.

We have a friend who was extremely wonderful, and that wonderful person gave us backstage passes. Not to gloat, but it is the most wonderful feeling to be on the other side of that fence, and not crammed into a crowd of hot, sweaty, sunburned drunk people. We had considered leaving after Keith Anderson's set, until we managed to locate said friend. Did I mention it was wonderful? Let's talk about NOT having to use the public bathrooms being visited by 30,000 drunk people on a hot day. Won-der-ful.

One other tiny advantage of having the pass was that we could stand on the side of the stage platform, and watch the performers. So here we have one of my favorite shots of the day. It's a monument to the very worst of bad snapshots, but I love it anyway. Blake Shelton was performing, and I am standing RIGHT behind Mr. XXL himself, Keith.


Several things amazed me. The sheer logistics of getting "stuff" for six different performers on and off the stage in one day. The guys working all day long in the miserable heat (like that guy in the middle of the photo, I assume that's who he was, hats off to you, buddy...) moving all of that equipment around. The size of Keith's sneakers. How much more reasonable the sound level is BEHIND the banks of speakers. The fact that Blake walked by me earlier and I had no idea who he was, and then during his set I realized I knew almost all of his songs, and liked them too. Those sneakers. The fact that the drummer and guitarist can carry on an animated conversation effortlessly while playing, and notice friends in the wings, and toss a joke in their direction, which is multitasking that would make my tiny brain explode. The multiple drumsets all set up and ready to go (not amazing but just cool and Shamus and his son would probably have liked it.) Hmm, there was something else I was going to include in this list. Now what the heck was it?

2 comments:

onescrappychick said...

wow.. sounds like a rockin' great time!!!

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

Country bands aren't known for their drummers, but I bet they were decent. But they need more cowbell.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...