Friday, December 01, 2006

Incentive

I got a brand new treadmill. I know the novelty will wear off, so I have a plan. It involves rigging up some sort of shelf to hold my laptop, not so that I can surf, but so that I can watch my (complete collection of) Sex and the City DVD's while I work out.

Once I get through all of those, I may just HAVE to reward myself by purchasing the boxed set of all of the Friends episodes. Except running + laughing = Carly falling on her ass, so I'll have to make sure I wear the Dorks-R-Us Safety Clip (if you fall on your ass, it pulls a magnetic piece off the dashboard and instantly stops the treadmill. I know. But I might have to wear it anyway.)

Since my son is dying to get on the treadmill I needed to convince him that it is NOT a toy. I did this by turning it on, setting it to 10 MPH, and dropping a sneaker on it. WHAM! The sneaker shot off and hit a nearby wall. My son doubled over with laughter of course, but I emphasized that if the sneaker was his head, it wouldn't be so funny, now, would it?

Point made. I hope.

If this works out really well (pun intended) there may be before and after pictures. Just maybe. I have one particularly horrifying picture of me from Ocean City that would be an ideal "before." Egads. Maybe I need to tape that to my snooze button so that I have to look at it before I roll over and say "I'm too tired to work out this morning."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck~

Johnny Virgil said...

I will have to visit you next week to check on your progress.

Anonymous said...

are you daring him. at that age i would have put everything in the house on there to see how it fared against the wall. i might have tried an egg first.

Sgt said...

I agree with Shoes. You just taught your son a valuable lesson in physics. It will only be a matter of time before he and his friends are playing a game of "who's the bravest" standing in front of it and having increasingly larger objects fired at them.

Ahhh the good old days.

I think one of the top ranked google videos is still that woman face planting on the treadmill.

@Johnny: be sure to check for the internal odometer that shows overall usage. We can't have Carly just claiming to have used it.

Carly said...

Sgt. ...um, JV is NOT checking my internal odometer...

(he meant that he would stop by my cube at work...)

John said...

good luck Carly, I love my treadmill with the iPod. Figure out what pace you like to run/walk and then get a bunch of songs that are at that cadence. Or have Nike and iPod do it for you.

Sgt said...

LOL. Sorry Carly, I didn't realize the undertones of that statement. But now that you pointed it out, thats pretty funny.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...