Friday, December 29, 2006

Two years?

I've wasted two years blogging??? Not time wasted, just time entertaining (mostly myself, from my sitemeter stats.... Steff wrote a great piece about how "I write for myself" and I can't find it now.)

I'll give you some of my favorite quotes while I ramble on a bit here...

When you meet someone special you'll just know. A real relationship can't be forced.
It just comes about effort-lent-less-ly. (Michael Scott)

I started blogging because someone (name concealed to protect the guilty party) sent me a link to Waiter Rant, and said "You'd like this" and b o y were you right!! Plus it was a slow day at work, and well.... you know.

I guess if you don't jump you'll never know if you can fly. (Miranda Lambert)

So tonight I am making sushi rolls and I will hang out at my neighbor's retirement party (except I think we're not supposed to know that's what it is....)

I am going to use smoked salmon and baby corn for one or two rolls, and some others will have (cooked) shrimp and some cucumber, and then I will do a third one with baby carrotts and the other two veggies. Yummy. The rice is cooling now.

Speaking of parties... are you going to make resolutions? I'm not. I break them. I do think about goals this time of year. Like learning to play the piano with TWO hands. And I have to figure out what my next adventure will be, now that I checked off "parasailing". (No JV, I am not going to skydive.)

I believe that we form our own lives, that we create our own reality, and that everything works out for the best. I know I drive some people crazy with what seems to be ridiculous optimism, but it has always worked for me. -- Jim Henson.

Have a great 2007.

6 comments:

Sgt said...

You make your own sushi... would you adopt me? Gardener? Pool guy?

I love sushi!

I keep trying to convince Mrs SgtRedline to try to make it. Sure.. I could probably try too, but I'm not what you would call handy in the kitchen.

Carly said...

I think the kman is my gardener but you could be my pool guy. Or you could be "guy who fans me while I run on my treadmill in the summer in my garage."

I will find my sushi entry. California rolls are easy to make and require no raw fish. If Mrs. Sgt likes shrimp or that fake crab meat stuff or even just veggies like baby corn and carrots you can have fun with this.

Carly said...

http://goingon40.blogspot.com/2006/07/sushi-101.html

is where I blah blah blahged about it.

some addendums...

smoked salmon is nice

get rice wine vinegar to flavor the rice

pickled ginger is actually to cleanse the palate. it's good right on top of the slices

wasabi is HOT so warn people it's not guacamole or anything



definitely TRY IT. I got a kit in borders for my daughter - "Complete Sushi" - which has bowls and the bamboo wrap (it's a tossup to me, which is easier) and a book that talks about cutting the actual raw fish which you CAN use. I don't want to risk any illness so I use cooked shrimp etc as I've said.

People whose arm I twist to try this stuff really like it.

Sgt said...

Nice, we'll give it a try.

Generally we just hit up the sushi bars, but at $10 a roll..family of 6... it adds up.

And of course, you can't have sushi without Saki.

As for Wasabi, its a family staple. I put it in just about anything I can. Even my 4 yr old likes it.

Anonymous said...

Has it really only been 2 years? Time flies. I don't do resolutions, this year I'm going to work on three goals a month. I'll blog about them on Sunday probably.

StrangerDanger said...

Thanks for not giving away my job...:-) spicy tuna roll is great too, i just found out. maybe i'll try uni or unagi too

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...