Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Suzy Got Her Sparkle Back


Suzy has always wanted to skate at Rockefeller Plaza - this year she finally did it!

Just as background, she skated competitively while she was in high school. Meaning every year I was dragged, er, I got to go to on vacation in Lake Placid in the stark, bleak deadness of January winter. (I hate winter. Have I mentioned that? and back then, some 15-20 years ago, it was always FREEEEEZING up there and I was up to my ass in snow every time. Bleahhh.) She even toured with Disney on Ice in the chorus line for a while. (We saw that show several times because they passed through our town. It was a complete blast but I had Peter Pan songs stuck in my head for a week. We're following the leader, the leader, the leader....)

Anyway, this past weekend she took a train to NYC with a couple of friends and checked this adventure off her wish list. She has not been looking forward to this Christmas since she's going to be working ten billion hours and all, so this was just what she needed.

She said the rink is about 1/3 the size of a typical rink. She waited an hour but then was able to skate for about two and a half hours and absolutely had a blast. The weather was perfect - it was in the 50's there this weekend.

Sorry guys, no little skating dress... and you can't see her REAL smile here, because I'm clinging to my delusion that this blog is somewhat anonymous still, but she was grinning from ear to ear. Yay, Suzy!!!

4 comments:

StrangerDanger said...

Way to go Suzy, I remember her telling me about the DOI days when i first started working with her...crazy. Who knew Disney skaters did that much (rhymes with Bloke)?

I love Rockefeller Plaza. I love Manhattan. I love driving in Manhattan. I love eating in Little Italy, and shopping at shady Chinatown stores. I love the Garden, Radio City, Times Square, the MMOA, cab rides, the subway, eating sketchy gyros, hot prezels, the energy and excitement. Big floppy pizza with snappy cheese. Broadway plays. I love NY... :-(

Anonymous said...

you could have photoshopped the little skirt on for us guys.

Anonymous said...

Funny the things you can't do when your knees are falling apart... skiing.. skating... all those cold weather sports. Bummer!

But I'm soo happy for her to be able to finally do this.. sounds like it came at a perfect time.

Anonymous said...

It was a wonderful, perfect day and a dream come true (even without the little skirt...sorry guys...)

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...