Thursday, June 15, 2006

Moving day

Moving is a giant pain in the ass.

My co-workers and I have been moved from one side of the floor to the other. I was sort of the "coordinator girl" because I am a suckup and told my boss I'd be happy to do it. I think it's Big Fun. I know I'm a dork, I wear it proudly. But who will be laughing at bonus time? That's right, ME, bitches. Bosses hate this crap because all everyone does is complain, so my boss loves me right now. She didn't have to listen to all of the whining today that I just let rollll right off me.

Some people moved twice, because they had to move over to my side, to get out of the way, and then they had to move back to our brand spanky new cubes. One girl said to me "the next time I'm going to pack my stuff is to quit this job." Some people are so cranky. (Said girl is in her 30's. Why do I think of my peers as girls and guys rather than grown women and men? Discuss.)

Moving is FUN, people! Go through your stuff and see how useless all of those papers are that you carefully file in desk drawers. (I have approximately 10 manilla folders. I have been doing my present job for :::thinks:::: eight years. It's the digital age, people. Don't save paper. Unless it's scrapbooks. But that's a completely different post.)

I personally packed all of my stuff into two boxes. (the boxes are about 8x10x18" or so.) This was only because I had a bunch of different flavors of tea bags, my small christmas, um, HOLIDAY tree that I put on my desk, my rock collection, and photos of my kids. Otherwise, it would have been one box.

It's funny to see how much shit people will actually put right out on their desk. I have 3 or 4 magnetic frames that I use to display photos of Daughter and Son, right on my overhead cupboards (which are largely empty). Other people have 12 framed pictures of their kids on their desk... of their TWO kids... Hello, each year, put the new picture in the same frame, over the old one.

It amuses me that the people who I see doing the least work have the most chochtkes in their office and they're SO BUSY THEY CAN"T FIND TIME TO PACK. ( Affix velcro to forehead and wrist, press together, sigh...)

The biggest geek in the department could not properly label his boxes, and I had to open them to find out whose they were. (There is a square at one end of the box that indicates "PUT LABEL HERE" in 56 point type. Book smart, no common sense. I think some embryos wait in only one line, and get the end of day "take everything that's left" deal, and forget to go get in the other line. The angels just laugh at them.)

Another fun thing is the guy who told me 42 times today "I don't have my phone yet. " It got to the point where just for fun I would walk by his office and say "did you get your phone yet?" (This was actually Jack, who I'm torturing with the whole Pace Hat gig. So I did get him his phone right after lunch, as soon as I found the ONE Phone Guy who was assigned to move some 200+ phones today.)

Despite my 6 or 7 email reminders, no one who moved went back to put a chair in their old office. So I was paid an obscene amount per hour today to push chairs around my floor. I'm fine with that.

The most important facet of my personal move is that my Sirius radio still picks up an excellent signal. I know you were all worried about that, so you can rest easy now. The girl who sits two cubes away from me can not get a signal. She has a much nicer Sirius receiver than me (records and saves up to 50 hours worth of programming or something like that) but her antenna is apparently much more fickle. Go figure.

Well, that's about all I have to say about moving. I'm having a big glass of wine and it's kicking in, so I'm going to put my feet up and order a pizza. Adios everybody! Throw away some clutter today!

1 comment:

onescrappychick said...

ohhhhhhhhh.. there's something so fun about new digs... enjoy your new cubby!!

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...