Sunday, June 11, 2006

my Basil is dying

I got a flower pot full of basil seedlings from my son for mother's day. My heart sank.

I have a black thumb. These suckers don't have long to live. The decline has begun. I've overwatered them because the dirt at the top of the pot always felt dry. They were wilting so I watered more. There were about a billion little tiny unsuspecting plants, and many of the smallest have already faded away.

I've moved most of them to a flower pot out on death row (aka my deck).

AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

I do not need this on top of the "omg it's finals this week" tension in our house. English, math, science. Is it Thursday yet?

4 comments:

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

Why is it a "green thumb"? It should be "green hand" since you don't just use your thumb. I mean, if it was hitchiking, that would be another story.

I'm going to be using the "green hand" phrase from now on. It just makes more sense.

onescrappychick said...

Basil is a very fussy herb. Let the thing dry out completely, and start over. They need lots of sun too.

onescrappychick said...

oh, and ms. thing gave me some seedlings in a mason jar for mother's day.. and they are out on the porch looking as sad and pathetic as ever.. mason jars don't "dry out" it seems. I think they are flowers, but I don't expect them to ever be plants.

mckay said...

silly, go to trader joe's and buy a basil plant. a miracle has happened!!

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...