Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Dear

.... lady who jogged by me, going in the opposite direction, in the park today:

it was really nice of you to stop and tell me that you're very impressed by my running... and to even repeat it... "really impressed". The way you said it, made me think you live in that neighborhood and have seen me running up and down all of the hills, beet red and gasping and all that.

I really appreciate it, because to be honest, I was a little freaked out over the weekend when I ACTUALLY GOT IT (the brochure -- my runner's instructions for the race WITH MY BIB NUMBER AND EVERYTHING), and I freak a little whenever I think about it being This-Saturday- And I Really Have To Do This.

I really appreciate it because when I started it I wanted to have an "after" picture by now... I have the "before" picture, from last August at the beach. I just don't look all that different yet. At least, not to me. Most of my clothes still don't fit and I'll be damned if the scale doesn't still say exactly the same number it did when I went back to work after my surgery... my face came back to where it doesn't look all puffy anymore, but my face forgot to tell my ass to get its act together.

What is it they say, after a certain age, you have to choooose whether your ass looks good, or your face? (skinny ass, gaunt face... know what I mean?)

I really appreciate it because, tut tut, it looks like rain this weekend and what if it freakin thunders and I can't decide what to wear anyway and oh my god the running shorts I bought the other day are the most uncomfortable bloody things I have ever owned when I'm actually running, so THOSE are going in that part of the closet shrouded in darkness....

...but you motivated me to keep running today, and I need to do that. Even though I have visions of the police holding back the traffic on Madison ave so I can stumble through.... which I am trying hard to put out of my mind and all...

So thanks.

~Carly

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really proud of you! Don't worry about scales, and your own perception is always skewed in the wrong direction.

Good luck!!!

-E

John said...

How you doin pal? Sounds like you're hangin tough NKOTB style.

D-HOR said...

You've been running alot lately I hope you are proud of yourself for keeping to this and not giving up.

That is SO COOL that a stranger told you that she was impressed! Neat-O.

I'm glad that someone else is beet red when they run and not just me. Chino (my mexican) doesn't understand it (because quite frankly he's not white and doesn't turn red) and it freaks him out when I come home from a run. He studies me like a lab rat, goofball.

I'll be sending up some prayers for you. You know, so you don't get hit by lightning. (and you find something comfy to wear) :)

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...