Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Customer MisService, part 99

So today I called about my debit card problem because the stupid thing still would not Give. Me. Money.

(I waited in vain for a few days thinking a new PIN might be mailed to me, thinking that might be the issue. Nada.)

I called our 1-800 number and dealt with a charming woman (not) who tried to tell me that I was probably using the wrong PIN, but they didn't issue me a new pin. I repeated "I'm using the same pin that I used to use with my other card" more than once. "But we didn't give you a new pin."

WTF??

"No, I'm trying to use the old pin that I have always used with the card. Your clerks said it would still work with this new card and it doesn't."

She would reply that they didn't change the pin so I was probably typing the wrong PIN. I said very bluntly, "I know what my pin is and I have had the same pin for years so I am quite positive that I know how to type it. I tried more than once."

THEN she told me some nonsense about how her card wasn't really working yesterday, and I should try again, to which I replied "I just tried it now and it is not working". Then we had to dance through the "you might not have the right pin but we didn't give you a new one" smoke and mirrors again. Phone rage, all the way.

Finally a solution came to me and I said through gritted teeth "Would you please just reset my pin? I know that you can do that because that's what I ended up doing the LAST time I needed a new card."

She advised me that she was setting it to 1234 and that I should go and pick this option, that one, yada yada to reset it.

I went down to the ATM in our building and the guy with the money and the gun was there with the atm all opened up. "I'm going to be here a while". So help me. I think I could take him.

Walk away quietly, think about bunnies and woodchucks.

1 comment:

Brian said...

I'll have to remember the "think of the rabbits and woodchucks" line as I run into dumb asses all the time as well.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...