Friday, June 03, 2005

Lazy circles in the sky

I was talking to my boss last week and I looked out the window behind her and saw a pair of hawks circling and soaring. Now, you have to know that my boss is so cool, I said "Look, hawks" and she immediately stopped what we were talking about, just to look for minute. There was a little bird defending its nest and the hawks were dipping and soaring and trying to get to it.

Hawks always remind me of a wonderful afternoon I spent one summer.


I was seeing this guy Bill and one day we went off to a local state park. We found a shady spot under a tree, spread out a blanket, and just simply let the afternoon pass. For a couple of hours we didn't have a care in the world.

Bill had managed to find a quiet spot with a great view of some hills and trees and sky. It was perfect weather, nice and warm but a good breeze floating over us pretty often. We had lunch, listened to Journey on the car stereo, and talked about everything, and sometimes we just looked at the clouds together and said nothing. A few minutes would go by, one of us would say something, and the other would be laughing in no time. At one point when we were in the middle of a heart-to-heart on one topic I was in tears, and he wrapped me up in a giant hug until some of the sadness passed, and then made a remark that showed me he really did know exactly what I was talking about. I was pretty darn content to stay right there oh, I don't know, forever perhaps. Actually, I have to admit that I wish I was there right now. It was that perfect.

There is a Journey song that sums it all up. It's called Stay Awhile.

I'd do anything to hold you.
I'd go anywhere to touch you.
I'd do anything you want me to,
If you'll just stay with me awhile.
I'd sing any song your heart desires.
I would sing out loud of love's sweet fires.
Oo, I'd do all this and so much more.
If you'll just stay with me awhile.
Reach out your hand,
Oh, to me.
Oh, I'm fallin'
One minute more,
I'm fallin'
I'm fallin'
Oh, oh, fallin', fallin', fallin', fallin'
Won't you just stay with me awhile?

No one in the world sings like Steve Perry.

When we had to leave, the truck wouldn't start, because we'd been there for hours listening to the radio. He turned the key and all we heard was clicka clicka clicka. Ooopsie. I thought it was amusing. Wasn't mad at all. Bill was very apologetic but I said over and over "It's FINE, really!" because it was, and I was waiting for him to see that it really was a little bit funny. (He did, later.)

He jogged off to find someone to jump start the battery and while I waited I saw a group of hawks. One by one they went soaring by - it seemed like there was an assembly line sending out one after another from one group of trees. I watched them circle and glide, my own private viewing courtesy of Mother Nature. It was so beautiful.

Life is not always logical, and we did not end up married, darn it. But I've learned in my life to never say never, because for all I know someday when I'm 80 I'll be in Vegas with my sister and there he'll be. I will be sure to snap him up should I have the chance.

Goodnight Bill, I still love you.

7 comments:

Johnny Virgil said...

OK, first of all, "No one in the world sings like Steve Perry."

All I can say is "thank the lord" because that nasal-singin' mofo was bad from day one.

That being said, here's a hawk story for you. I remember eating lunch outside of work one day when I worked for a place up off exit 10, and watching as the girl at the next picnic table was feeding a chipmunk. The chipmunk took two little hops and this gigantic hawk swoops down and grabs the chippy and flies away. I think the girl is still scarred.

Johnny Virgil said...

ps - good post by the way! I actually feel the same connection to nature when I see a hawk circling above me.

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

Sounds like Bill tried to pull the oldest trick in the book, right next too "Gee, I'm out of gas..."
Good try, Bill.

And Steve Perry is a very decent singer. I stood a few feet from him in Vegas years ago. It was cool.

Carly said...

LOL Johnny you are a brat, Steve Perry sold gazillions of records!!! ... but thank you for complimenting me on my parenting skills.

Johnny Virgil said...

Yeah, well so did tiny tim.

Anonymous said...

OK, I'm writing this down; so when exactly in 2054 are we hooking up in Vegas? I'll book us some Future Rooms at the Trumpelay Bay Grand Oasis Island Resort... :-)

onescrappychick said...

man, if that isn't a treasure to pull out on a crappy day.. I don't know what is.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...