Sunday, July 31, 2005

Dragonflies on the Lake


We got to camp Thursday night in time for my brother in law's father in law, Doug, to give us a beer while I checked out the BILLIONS of stars visible.


I saw an astonishing number of dragonflies, and if you know me, you know that this made me very happy. They were bright electric blue and about 2" long. Then there was a palm-sized one that landed on my knee. Yes, that one freaked me a little.

I spent plenty of time canoeing and making campfires which got progressively bigger(the one pictured is an early attempt and not even half the size of the last one). My last fire was so hot, I felt the need to swim in the lake at almost midnight. If you've never done this, you absolutely have to do it once in your life. Lie back and float, contemplate the stars, and you will thank me.

I managed to take each kid in the family out in the canoe with me at least once, and I have a feeling I will hardly be able to pick up a piece of paper tomorrow as a result. My son got the speedboat rides he has been waiting for since LAST summer, and they were great.

I had important conversations with the children on topics such as No, fish do not have rabies, and Yes, if you catch a fish you can keep it. (ha! they didn't) I also felt my soon-to-be niece or nephew do a slow roll in Mom's tummy. Awesome weekend. More stories to come if I ever catch up on my laundry.


Note to myself: before I turn 50, I will buy a canoe, and buy at least a share in a piece of property where I can use it every summer.

2 comments:

Johnny Virgil said...

Here's a little tip for you - the adirondacks are free. You don't need to own property to use a canoe. But yeah, I know -- you like those pesky showers, bathrooms, and roofs.

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

That picture is awesome! Made me yearn to be on a lake.

You sure fish don't have rabies? I've caught a few in the Hudson that were foaming at the mouth.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...