Thursday, July 07, 2005

London

I have a very important friend living in England currently. It was a relief to hear that he's OK, because I worried about him all day, but scary to read that he'd planned to be in London tomorrow. Some of the things he said in his note were all too familar - especially the need to turn off the TV when the news becomes just too much. I remember that on 9/11 when the mayor said "We're going to take care of all of the children whose parents won't be coming home tonight", I started sobbing and couldn't stop for quite a while.

Today's news reminded me of things that shouldn't be in anyone's memory bank - of 9/11, and Oklahoma city. Checking the news for updates, waiting to see if there will be more events when you're already so tired you just want to turn it all off and try to sleep. Checking on the people you know, waiting for the call or the email. Of being the person who has to send out the note saying "No, I'm ok, but thank you so much because I need these people reaching out to me right now." Coming home on 9/11 to find a message on my answering machine from a friend in OKC, sobbing because she thought she had my cell phone number and she couldn't reach me and didn't understand that I'm not really that close to NYC.

So Mark, I'm so glad you & Holly are ok, and I love you.

No comments:

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...