Saturday, June 09, 2007

Parting words

I love Manhattan. I really do. I told my mother that I would live there in a heartbeat if I could. I think her heart skipped a beat, in horror. She hated living there (but she lived in the Bronx when I was born. SO not the same thing.)

Several times over my short trip I found myself walking down the street (usually 5th ave, but Broadway too) thinking "Oh my god, I love it here." I really wanted to stay forever. Maybe it was the novelty of how many things there are to do in Manhattan. I want to visit all of the galleries and museums, hang out on a blanket in Central Park, go visit the Statue... so many things, so little time.

I've already started my escape fund, so that I can go back alone again. I'm SO not kidding. No one to feed/dress/pick up after? Life is good. Sitting on my bed in my hotel room in my underwear, having a drink and eating pastry from a little bakery I found down the street, while I watch a nice flat screen tv? (sorry, TMI there probably but...) that was a little slice of bliss for me.

In and around my training (yes! business travel - gotta love it) I managed to see QUITE a bit in just a few days. Here are some highlights:

  • Empire State Building. We covered the wait, and the smell. But it is a great view and a damn good looking building.




  • Rockefeller center... apparently Top of the Rock is "the new ESB"... better view, including the ESB AND Central Park... and appointments instead of lonnnnng waits. No ice in the summer, but of course:

  • (there is a nice little cafe across the street, http://www.deananddeluca.com/ where you can get an iced tea and something to nosh on to pep up, midafternoon, and shop for gourmet treats)

  • You can tour NBC studios, again with a specific appointment time rather than just waiting aimlessly in line. (Note: I called ahead, the person on the phone told me there were NO more slots open on the tours that day; when I actually walked in to double check since I went up to walk around Rockefeller center anyway, I easily purchased a ticket for a tour that would start an hour later. Moron. Don't answer the phone if you don't know what you're talking about.) So anyway, the Saturday Night Live studio is a fun tour. No cameras allowed... I also volunteered along with some other woman to do the news in a mock newsroom setup for the tour. That damn teleprompter scrolls fast. (Yes, I am That Girl Who Volunteers... no one knew me - why not?)
  • Food. FOOD! I had a phenomenal dish at Salmon River (about 40th & Madison). It was Hibachi salmon. Japanese mushrooms & eggplant and seaweed and rice noodles. It was to die for. And of course when I went to Lunella Ristorante I enjoyed that meal just as much.


  • I even saw Kathy Griffin do her comedy act. What? Yes, ok, it was on Bravo and I was in my room. Whatever. I love her.
  • Dear bitch at the starbucks attached to my Lilliputian hotel : I don't care if you don't like it that I asked for a cup of ice water along with my food and beverage I bought. Don't bitch to your pal about how "We are hydrating the people of NYC and we can't even charge for it." Yes, I heard you. That is why I made you fill the cup with water when I noticed you'd only put ice in it. I don't make the policy, your boss does. PS: I would have paid for it, if there was a charge. I was thirsty, dammit.
  • I bought this , and this and put back this in the MoMA store. Wanted to buy at least 3 MORE.

  • Wanna buy a bridge? I've got one.

1 comment:

onescrappychick said...

One of my secret dreams.. is to take a trip by myself.. for some of those same reasons. Sounds like you had a great time!!

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...