Thursday, November 01, 2007

Geronimo


Friday a co-worker of mine retires after about 30+ years of employment with our company.

Hey, I've got 20 years; despite the jokes we ALL make, it's not that bad. (Actually, at one point I worked for "S", but I have had 5 bosses in the last few years. Not my fault! We keep getting reassigned, as a team. But do YOU have five weeks of paid vacation every year? Didn't think so.)

What I like most about S is the joy with which she goes about everything. It is from her that I learned that is really is ok to day a day off from work and go for a walk in one of our beautiful parks. Just because it's a warm sunny day and the view is amazing, and you have to make time for yourself, Carly. (Which was her parting advice to me, make sure you make time for yourself.)

Upstate NY has an endless array of scenery, always changing, quite often dazzling, especially this morning when a huge long dark cloud seemed to be resting solidly on the Catskills, from one side of the horizon to the other. The top of the cloud didn't look like wisps of cotton; it looked more like white paint that had splashed. When you're in the middle of the hardest part of raising little kids, you don't always notice things like that.

It was actually S who put me up to the whole Donkey & Chico prank (start at the bottom of the May page, and read up...) In the end Jack had no idea it was me. He kind of figured S was involved, but could never prove it.

I really hope that when I'm 60 I'm planning an amazing cruise with someone I adore, and laughing so loudly all day long that I distract the people around me from the stupid trivial things they're doing.

I think it's going to be pretty quiet in my office Monday.


Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to slide across the finish line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, and shouting GERONIMO...

1 comment:

onescrappychick said...

She sounds like a wonderful person to know.... I'm sure your company will miss her.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...