Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Good Lourdes


So, here is Madonna's daughter... her name is Lourdes. If you click on this picture for a closer look, don't be frightened. Because, holy cow, the eyebrows. That layout would work for miniature dominos. (Up the nose and... well, you have to defy gravity for that, but admit it, you can picture it in your head, can't you?)
It surprises me that a woman SO image conscious would not take the simple step of preventing her daughter from international mockery by having an aesthetician wax those little 'pillars now & then. Oh, and bleache that upper lip a tad.
I (reluctantly) concede that her daughter is obviously still young, and should be left alone, but ... reality check. When your mom is one of the most famous singers EVER, you're going to be photographed pretty damn often.
Poor Lourdes, she doesn't get to watch TV and she doesn't get Christmas gifts. Whatever on the gifts, but I totally disagree with the "No tv at all" stance. It will only be effective as long as the child is in Madge's presence. As soon as she gets older, she'll rent an apartment, and she's going to put a huge flatscreen up, and spend weeks catching up on things like The Bachelor, I Love NY, and The Girls Next Door. Because they're just effing hilarious.
My actual point is that you can't pretend a huge segment of culture doesn't exist so that it won't influence your child. You need to acknowledge it, allow some access, and modulate the impact by TALKING to your child about what you approve of, or don't, and why. For crying out loud, at least let the kids watch redeeming stuff, like, uh... um... I'll get back to you on that. Wait. Cooking shows. What's so bad about being able to watch a cooking show? Alton is very educational. Sports. The kid can't watch the Olympics?? Nothing???
And geez, it only takes five minutes to wax.

3 comments:

Sassy Blondie said...

Carly, that poor girl. She's very exotic looking though! Looks like her daddy...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family! :)

emmay said...

Oh dear Lord. Those eyebrows are nothing short of frightening. they're the equivalent of a hair shirt on a man.

crystal wolf said...

I just saw this picture on one of the gossip blogs, and I had the same thoughts. I am counting the days till my dd is old enough that I can feel like it's okay to let her wax, and her unibrow is blonde so not nearly as obvious. I thought maybe I was being too tough because I have issues with eyebrows, glad to know I wasn't alone in my thoughts.
Crys :)

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...