Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Harper Valley PaThologicAl

SO, being the good little soccer mom I am (hahaha shut up) I attend PTA meetings.

Seriously, these things are better than soap operas.

A friend of mine said to me "didn't we have money set aside last year from xyz fundraiser for the science lab? did they spend that? " Now, my memory is crummy. (I have better things to remember than this...and when you attend a catholic school there's at LEAST two fundraisers going on at any given time) So I said d'oh, I dunno, you better ask.

She asked the question during the meeting, during the treasurer's report. Something nonconfrontational like, did I miss a meeting, did we vote on how to spend those funds, what did we buy? The response was this vague, somehow very defensive rambling blah blah blah this was a fundraiser specifically by a parish group, the PTA doesn't get to vote on how the funds are spent, blahablahaha. When my head was about to explode, I said "I believe her question is, what was purchased?"

Again with the blahahahahaha about who actually organized the fundraiser. Problem is that many of us worked that event, and we have this money in the PTA account...because, why again??? One of the PTA officers said that "the science lab is on the agenda" in a tight voice. Unclench, dolly. I just wonder what we bought?

More blahaha about how the funds are targeted for the lab and the pta doesn't vote on it, the science teacher prioritizes needs. Sweet mother of pearl, WHAT DID WE BUY? I sold a lotta hamburgers at that fundraiser, dammit.

I had to wait for the discussion of school picture day (they have to wear their uniforms! Mandatory! more drama because If You Were Committed To The School You Would Want a Picture of Your Child in the Uniform)

Finally the magic agenda item.....

Tables. We bought science lab tables. Would it be SO hard to say "we got tables, and we'll talk about them in detail in a few minutes." ???

My new mission is to ask a question at every meeting from now on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To think that when i was a kid, I used to visualize parents and teachers sipping tea at a PTA meeting...

Anonymous said...

PTA meetings are definitely soap operas- its good to hear its not just our tiny little town. I went to our PTA meeting this week and the issue that came up was about a PTA volunteer dinner they have at the end of the year to thank THEMSELVES for volunteering. The budget for their appreciation dinner was twice the amount the teacher/staff/bus driver appreciation $. We have a growing group of parents whose mission it is to get that money moved to something to benefit the Students.
KF

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...