Saturday, October 22, 2005

I'm not ready for this!

Last night my daughter, who's in 5th grade, went to her first school dance.

She didn't want to go at first and I said "Whyyyyy?" and so I convinced her to go to one, by promising that if she didn't like it she wouldn't have to go to any more. She is shy and tends to hang back and not jump right into the thick of things.

So, she went and of course she DID have a great time - I gave her some space by not staying to chaperone since I knew a few of the moms who were there.

I started thinking on the way home "Wait a minute. I went to MY first dance in 5th grade and that was when I got my first kiss." (Can't remember his name.... John something? Not a great kiss)

Somehow I managed to NOT go back there and drag her out of the dance, mumbling about how no daughter of mine is going to sneak behind the stage curtains and kiss.

I'm SO not ready for her to be dating.

2 comments:

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

I'm never going to be ready to think about any of that stuff.

But I know that day is looming. Looming.

Anonymous said...

Looming? My kids are 9 and 6 and I'm already frozen with fear.
It's a whole new world out there... much different from when we were kids stealing an innocent kiss or playing spin the bottle at age 13.

Goddess help me!

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...