Friday, October 07, 2005

And I have two of them

We bring you this live update thanks to wireless modems that can send a signal through the entire house, but I have security, darn it, so no parking in front of my house trying to steal my signal.

Well it's been a great day here at Chez Carly. The start of a long weekend, fall is in the air, and terror was in the hearts of everyone under five feet tall.

Thing 1 needed to have four teeth removed. Her baby teeth do not fall out, as baby teeth are SUPPOSED to do. This has already lead to adventures in orthodontia. Teeth bunch up and point in all sorts of directions when they don't fall out in a timely fashion. Retainers can come in glow in the dark pink swirly plastic, did you know that? All for a mere $1800. Most of which will not be covered by company benefits but hey, they have E-Z payment plans at the orthodontist.

The last time we tried to get teeth pulled, she drank the valium offered by the oral surgeon's nurse, then proceeded to scream hysterically "I don't want to get my teeth pulled!" over and over. You could hear her in all exam rooms, even out in the waiting room where Mr. C was hiding. Giving the nitrous oxide was not possible given the screaming and crying. Oral Surgeon looked at me and said "I think we need to go to plan B" which apparently is horse tranquilzer, administered with a really big needle so that the screaming is louder.

Plan B only toned down the screaming, it didn't stop it. So we had another shot, and then as she FINALLY succumbed to all of the various sedatives and lay there drooling, the offending teeth came out. She puked all the way home, and lay in bed in a stupor for the rest of the day. It was a really good time.

So you can imagine how much she was looking forward to having four more pulled today.

Thing 2 went to the dentist recently, and we were told, "Just take her xrays back to the orthodontist because his teeth look exactly the same" and they were pretty much serious. He was supposed to have 3 teeth pulled today. You see, he does lose teeth once in a while. He's not very good at it - the first one was swallowed with a bite of peanut butter sandwich. Apparently one of the 3 in question today broke off when he was eating an apple ("I thought it seemed crunchy") so that left 2 1/2 to yank.

Off we went to the oral surgeon's. Valium for the boy. A good pep talk for the girl from Oral Surgeon who had pointed out during the consult visit that she has several fillings and this doesn't have to be any worse than getting them. She toughed it out pretty well and took the nitrous, clenching my hand firmly the entire time. Ouch. It was good though, no horse needles, and she got through it all just fine while Mommy was carefully NOT looking at the bloody gaping holes that were developing in her mouth.

Yechhh.

The boy held up pretty well until it was time to get out of the car at home, and we discovered that someone had replaced his legs with cooked spaghetti. For some reason I was the one with my hands under his armpits, carrying the drunken sailor up the front steps. Hmm.

Off we dragged him, into my room which apparently is where I'll be spending the next few hours, watching them sleep and drool blood onto my old towels.

The party REALLY started as I was putting him into my bed. He looked adoringly at me, smirking a little bit, and said "Wow, mommy has 3 heads."

We got him to lay down after a couple of tries and took the gauze out when we realized he was chewing it. All of sudden he held up his left hand , which was twitching some, and gazed at it with a dreamy expression: "Look...."

Mr. C said "Yes, D, it's your hand"

With a visible startle D held up his right hand and said "WOW, I have two of them!"

2 comments:

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

THAT is funny.

onescrappychick said...

aww.. poor kiddo's.

Have some wine, take a few deep breaths, and then have another glass.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...