Saturday, October 15, 2005

But maybe he does...

Well, the day finally came. My brother in law was going to sit down and tell my nephew about Santa today... so we had to talk to Beth... because 5th graders should know what's going on.

We decided we'd talk about St Nick, and how he secretly gave gifts to people in need, and what a good thing it is to give a gift, and so the idea turned in to Santa, and how everyone who is a grownup loves to be a part of the secret, and when you are older, you get to be a part of the secret and make the magic for the younger children.

So we were doing that and she was grinning and I said "Do you know what we're telling you? Do you understand already that Santa isn't just one guy, and Mom and Dad buy your stuff?"

She just laughed at us and said "Well I didn't THINK Santa would go to shop at the Limited Too... " She was soooo on to us last Christmas already.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you waited until fifth grade? My third grade teacher told our whole class.

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

This is one of those things that you don't even think is an issue unti lyou have kids.

You see how they get caught up in it and you don't want a rude awakwning, like anonymous had there.

Last year my first grader head on the bus that Santa wasn't real, so older kid was ruining it for the younger ones.

I told her that kid only says bad stuff about Santa because he's mad at him for bringing him socks and clothes instead of toys he asked for.

And that worked. For now. I like the way you broke the news, Carly. Even if you were already busted!

Sarah said...

I totally figured it out on my own when I was 8 or 9. My dad made a mistake. I was with him when he bought me something a couple months before Christmas, and he said, "I'm going to give you this for Christmas." But then on Christmas day he put "From: Santa" on it. My poor dad. I think he was upset. But I wasn't. I thought it was hilarious that Santa turned out to be my mom and dad. Then I had fun being in on the secret for my younger sister. Man, I miss being a little kid sometimes.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...