Friday, November 25, 2005

Even if you're busy, busy busy

... there are always holiday specials to catch on tv. Right? Well, I don't know about you but I just can NOT bring myself to watch It's a Wonderful Life. It's so drippy schmaltzy, the words "Every time a bell rings" just are like nails on a chalkboard for me. However, for those of you who DO want to watch, it's on December 10th on NBC.

Trust me, a better movie is Holiday Inn, airing December 4th on AMC. Bing sings! Fred dances! There are some damn funny lines in the movie, too.

Or your tastes may run to Bill Murray, Scrooged (11/28 on TBS). We can still be friends.

You have to catch the classics.... Rudolph, November 30 on CBS... Santa Claus is Comin to Town (Dec 3, Family channel)... Charlie Brown (December 6th on ABC)... Grinch (the 12th on Cartoon Network), and Frosty, December 17th on CBS.

There is one that Mr. C never misses- it's called A Christmas Story and it's this weird little film about a boy who wants a Red Ryder BB gun. I just don't get it, but if you watch it maybe you can tell me the appeal (TBS, beginning at 8 pm Christmas eve, and running on a loop for TWENTY FOUR HOURS, I kid you not. )

Christmas in Washington? Um, with Rascal Flatts, the "Loverboy" of country music? I think not. I also think I'll be skipping The Happy Elf (what was Harry Connick thinking??) and the Jimmy Neutron special.

Festivus, the holiday for the rest of us? 12/22 on TBS. See you there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, the Happy Elf is made by the same people who make the Simpsons, besides it's funny, i'm buying it, and watching it when not busy, busy, busy

Anonymous said...

My wife loves "It's a Wonderful Life," but I think the main reason is because of the scene where George comes home in a bad mood and grouses about why they have to have so many children. She says that's me when I'm being an asshole. She also likes "A Christmas Story" and I think that's because the Dad looks like such a dumbass in it. Again, me. Me? The "Grinch."

John said...

I love A Christmas Story.

Y'know what I don't understand, though? The obsessive need to watch these holiday movies 'round the holidays. Maybe it seems obvious. But my mom was rather put off when I didn't really feel like watching a bunch of Christmas movies after Thanksgiving.

I dunno. Maybe I'm not festive enough.

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

Don't forget "A Christmas Story", another classic.

"You're going to put your eye out with that thing..."

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...