Sunday, November 13, 2005

FFF- #16 - Lost in the suburban jungle

It's time for Flash Fiction Friday again, kiddies; click the title link to go read JJ's post to find out more.



"Jack!"

I heard a slight whizzing sound come close to my face and jerked my head sharply backwards, just before a brightly painted arrow flew past my nose.

"Jack!" I whispered hoarsely. "Jack! Where are you? It's me, Kate."

Silence.

I wheezed, trying to catch my breath, and listened, trying to keep my adrenaline-charged limbs motionless for a moment, listening intently. Nothing but a slight rustle of leaves.

I looked into the trees, hoping to see where the arrow had come from, but saw only darkness. I glanced down at the ground, in time to see a snake slithering along - away from me, but I let out a startled "eeep!" despite myself and my arms flailed, unconsciously trying to find a weapon.

I covered my eyes with my palms for a moment, and tried to take a deep breath. Unbelievable. What the hell was I going to do now?

I took another step into the woods, my heart lurching inside my chest as though some hideous troll was inside my ribcage, trying to sledgehammer his way out.

"Jack?" This time, my voice came out a bit louder. I was getting angry.

"John Gilbert Winston the third, you come out right this minute or when your mother gets home from her massage I'm going to tell her you were hiding on me again, you little brat. "

I gritted my teeth. Still nothing.

"She'll take away your X box for two weeks this time, you know it! She said so. You have until the count of three. ONE, TWO... "

The brave warrior emerged from behind a clump of bushes, holding his bow and one more arrow. His jeans were ripped at one knee, the sweatshirt was muddy, and he had some sort of leaf stuck in his hair. I hoped it wasn't poison ivy (again).

"Oh come on Kate, please don't tell!" His eight-year-old bravado had been replaced with the bug-eyed panic of a child who realizes they've taken a game just a step too far.

"It'll cost you half of the candy in your secret Halloween stash, you little creep. Now get inside!"

His shoulders dropped, and he began walking up the trail, back to the yard.

5 comments:

Johnny Virgil said...

jack and kate? Been watching a bit too much LOST, have we?

onescrappychick said...

oohh.. nice. Never saw that coming!

Anonymous said...

Babysitter's revenge!
I babysat brats like that....

Carly said...

yeah, I just got the BOX SET of season one and the extras are fantastic

Johnny Virgil said...

do any of them involve Evangeline Lilly naked?

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...