Sunday, November 27, 2005

Suzy 1, Tom 0

My sister (who blogged for only about 3 days, but whatever...) had to work Thursday night, so she had us over for a late Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday.

Monday we used Kraft's website to determine that if she bought a 20 lb turkey she could put it in her fridge (since there was NO room in the freezer) and it should be defrosted by Saturday morning.

Should.

Wasn't.

She called me about 9:15 Saturday morning and told me that she'd taken the turkey out from the fridge when she got home from work, and the little bugger was still all frozen inside. She spent at least 30 - 45 minutes running cold water down into his rib cage to get out that nasty bag of giblets. She'd had a crappy night at work, (she's been sick and not sleeping well so it was capped by a full-scale asthma attack at the front desk just before leaving -- they almost called a code and took her to the ER), so as a bonus she cried the entire time.

When she had his giblets out, she flipped the little bastard over and discovered that his liver was shoved up into his other cavity. She screamed "Nooooooo!" and debated drop-kicking the little guy off the balcony of her apartment but decided against that. Cried, ran cold water, pried guts out of him.

When she called me, my only advice was "put him in the oven and go to bed, you need sleep." She bastes with a combo of melted butter mixed with brown sugar; some of that spilled on the oven floor, so she got a nice facefull of smoke at one point. Lovely.

When all was said and done, the meat was falling off the bones, and it was very juicy and delicious. We had sweet potatoes and my brother made the green bean goo (it was good), and I also made stuffing from scratch (with apple, celery, spices, and so on) which apparently drove my mother up the wall because it takes "too long" but it was great.

We had a moment of silence for Ruth Siems and then ate a great dinner (first my son had this very cute speech about how we should be grateful for the Pilgrims and their friend Squanto- - - bear in mind, he looks like he has a purple goatee, because he sucked a cup onto his face and walked around with "no hands" for at least 5 minutes on Thursday... it's a giant bruise. Dork!)

Next year, Suzy is making HAM.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of the time my husband gave himself a bruise on the forehead with a suction-bottomed toy our 6-month old daughter liked to play with at the time. He wanted to make her laugh so he stuck this thing on his forehead.
20 seconds later, he had a 3-inch circular bruise smack-dab in the middle of his forehead.

Double DORK!

StrangerDanger said...

What's the deal with these turkeys? I've yet to see one defrost accurately. I feel sorry for your sister, having to work Thanksgiving and then having a dang frozen bird flip you the, uh, wing, well that sucks. On top of that, she's hot and has not found Mr. Right yet. So unfair...

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...