Sunday, May 14, 2006

Good Advice I Just Can't Take




I went to a wedding yesterday. The priest spoke of his parents, wed 50 years, and how on their 50th anniversary they each told him privately "I give up. I'll never change him/her."



I understand on a logical level that we shouldn't try to change the people in our lives. But on the emotional level I seem to be incapable of preventing myself from being agitated when people in my life do certain things. I am very weak in the "accepting someone for who they are" game. I can't roll with it; the wheels are square, and I lurch forward a bit, then sink down into the muck.

I find myself incapable of hugging my parents these days. I can't look them in the eye, and I feel like they really don't understand most of my life. They're not people I turn to for advice with any of my struggles. I can't take their manufactured drama, the obsession with the minute details of their utterly uncomplicated existence. I just want to scream, "live my life for a week, and then see how easy you have it, sitting in your house all day, not going anywhere or having anything people are demanding of you."

It's probably a bit pathetic that Post Secret makes me feel a little less freakishly weird. But I DO buy funny cards so I won't have to buy one that says "I love you."

No comments:

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...