Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Rocking old memories


I'm a rocking girl, according to Beth.
Thanks Beth!!!I would have to nominate Sarah, and Sassy Blondie -oh, and Cecily. I'd nominate Poly just to give her this pretty pink button but you can't read her blog. Sorry. It's just for special people -- I think she lets me read it just out of sympthy for my dorkness.


Now for my acceptance speech. Hmm.

I got to thinking about various speeches I have given in my lifetime.

High school graduation. I was the Salutatorian. You don't have to give a speech about world politics if you're #2. Everyone knows you're kinda smart, but not the smartest kid on the stage, so there is no pressure to awe your listeners.

I spoke about the fun we'd had all senior year (a little trip down memory lane) with the sole goal of being able to mention the names of the boys who wore skirts on Dress Up Day of senior week.

College. In college I had to take all sorts of random General Education requirements even though I was studying Math with a minor in Computer Science. No lie, I took children's theatre*, religions of the world, water color painting, all sorts of shizzle. Except no one said shizzle then, because it was 20 years ago, and I don't think anyone says shizzle anymore, so my daughter better not catch me using that expression.

Anyway.

I also took a Nutrition class because it was an easy way to get the science credit I needed. So one week we all had to do a report in front of the class. We each were randomly assigned a diet and had to report on the pros/cons. I got Ayds. Remember Ayds? They were badly named diet "candies". You were supposed to eat one when you got hungry.

I bought a box, and tried one, and read the materials that came with it. On class day I brought the box to class, and passed it around, and offered one to each student. As they were chomping away I let them know that the primary way this diet worked was that the candy contained a small amount of local anaesthetic. That's right. Your tongue and part of your mouth goes a little numb, and then the effect is supposed to spread to your stomach. That's the plan anyway. I got queasy. I got a couple of the prissy little rich girls pretty annoyed too. Haha.

*I was in this play about some stupid mouse with a dumb name that I can't remember (it will come to me), and Pete the Cat was after me, and we performed this play for a bunch of preschoolers, and one literally walked up to me and was yanking on me, screaming "Turn around! Pete the Cat is right behind you and he's going to get you!" Sit down, you little crumbsnatcher. Shaddap.

That's pretty much the extent of my formal speech giving, although I spent a couple of years as a corporate trainer. (For example, Introduction to DOS. Type dir a: and press Enter. Joy joy.) It was boring but got me to Seattle, which is a great city, and up to Maine, which I enjoyed a great deal. Beautiful places.

In a world where Chacchi is a stud(WTF????), and people seem to care more about where Lindsey Lohan is in Utah than finding six hard working miners, I'm not sure that this award means much more than validation that I've got a couple of nice friends who appreciate me for who I am. But isn't that a lot?

4 comments:

onescrappychick said...

I would expect nothing else from Polly. I LOL'd at your speech story's. I hate nothing more than speaking in public.. so an online speech was right up my ally.

Sgt said...

For the last time... IT WAS A KILT!

LOL.

Congrats Rocking Girl

Anonymous said...

AYDES was the victim of bad marketing - it came out 6 months before AIDS hit the news big time.
You can still hear the ads for AYDES on the web - and they're just weird. "I lost 34 pounds in 6 weeks with AYDES"

I'll bet you did - yikes.

~yk

Magnum PO said...

You do rock.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...