Sunday, August 12, 2007

Bring That Beat Back To Me Again

Listening to Dave Matthews Band (Old dirt road) - "...the first time I kissed you, I lost my legs"

I feel strangely like I have lost my running legs. I think I pulled a muscle or two. Something's not right; when I try to run I feel like my entire left leg is jarring, from hip to knee, and I am lurching. So I quit, wait a week, try again, same result. It's been 3 or 4 weeks now.

I miss running! Yesterday it was gorgeous, and I couldn't run. Dammit. Then in the pool, I jumped up to hit the "volleyball" and I can't recall whether it hurt more to leap up, or to land, but it was not a good thing.

The disheartening part is that my primary care physician thinks I shouldn't run at all. He didn't want to hear anything about how slowly I'd started, or gradually increased. I said, well, eventually I'll probably just go back to walking. Nope.

Swimming. That was the only exercise that he felt was apropriate for me. Yeah. Um, no. I can't really swim.

SO, now I need to find a doctor who will diagnose whatever I did to myself, and give me some treatment advice. I'd like to be able to run again, but I'd be happy to take a long (30 - 45 minutes) walk without pain.

:::::sulk:::::::

2 comments:

onescrappychick said...

They didn't want you to do PT? Maybe it's just my Dr's.. "Oh, you have a fever.. do some PT". (sigh)

I'm sorry. I am not allowed to run... but I can't say that I've ever missed it much. I'd cry if I couldn't go for my walks. ((hugs))

Sgt said...

That's sort of odd to be told to not walk. I'm not a medical doctor, but I'm thinking that you might want to seek a second opinion. You'd have to have some pretty serious knee injury or hip socket problem to be told not to walk. Probably not the hip part since swimming still moves the ball socket where your legs attach.

Swimming is excellent exercise. Anything in the pool usually is. Its low impact on your joints with added the resistances of the water.

@SC: Physical Therapy is one of the most expensive insurance items. I think many doctors get "rewarded" for not referring you. Sad, but true.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...