Friday, August 31, 2007

Do not try this at home

So (see previous post) I made the cupcakes. Thought I was clever using a long serrated knife to cut off the excess before I took them out of the pan. Thought I was fabulous because Pam with flour made them slip RIGHT out of the pan.

Thinned down some frosting with milk, and dipped them in.

They looked like CRAP. Almost all the detail was lost. The frosting was a bit too thick. Apparently people who READ DIRECTIONS make a glaze and brush it on with a pastry brush, but I am Smarter Than That.

I got the idea to press some fondant into the bug outlines (in the cake pan) and overlay it on the frosting. I have some very mutant looking ladybug cupcakes, let me tell you. Pink with green spots. Do not adjust your monitor! I will grace you with some pictures at some point. Y'all need a good laugh.

After much muttering and monkeying I rolled fondant very thin (marbled some colors) and pressed it into the shape of each bug in the pan, and then fitted it over the cupcakes. Some stretching, tearing, and swearing. Some dots of frosting as feeble accent lines. Yup - good enough!

Brother and sister in law, who came to help put the new gas grill together (because hey, the party is actually within 24 hours, so as the Blue Man Group proclaims... "it's time to start"...) swear the cupcakes are cute. I'm feeling "Hey, it's cake, we're going to EAT it, who cares, but they're fugly."

Fugly fugly. Really. ;-)

No comments:

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...