Sunday, August 05, 2007

The Penguins are Killing me

Class, let's discuss Club Penguin.

This site is insanely addictive among young elementary school kids... the hook is that you CAN sign up and get a screen name for free. You can play games. You get a running tally of coins you win. You can "buy" things for your penguin with those coins.

Except.

Some things, you can't buy. Because you're not a MEMBER. As in, someone who has badgered their Mom for weeks, nay, months, to please, please PLEASE, sign me up for $6 a month. So I can buy my penguin a different color shirt. Just like all of my friends.

Today, I caved. The night before school starts, I'm killing a penguin. (it's still a month away here, FYI to my southern friends).

4 comments:

Sgt said...

I'll be sure to not let my kids in on that one.

Yep.. school starts next week here. None too soon if you ask my wife who stays with them all day.

onescrappychick said...

haven't heard of that penguin thing.. we have "RuneScape" begging at my house. (eyeroll). Same idea.. better perks in the game if you are a member.

I go back to work on the 27th, which is too close if you ask me... but I can tell the kids are starting to get on each other's nerves (and therefore, mine)

Sassy Blondie said...

You're such a good mom! It's not like they are playing GTA where even the hookers get blown away. It's a penguin..with interchangeable shirts. :o)

Sgt said...

OH.. it always starts out simple.

Some penguins with shirts...
Then it's Yetis hitting penguins...
Then it is on to the hard stuff...

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...