Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Good For You = Expensive

Last night I had a nutritionist visit us (friend of a friend). Here are the reasons:
  • my teenager is quite thin and eats very few things due to braces and a moderate case of finicky-ness. I worry about her being healthy, etc
  • my 10 year old is very active and ALWAYS hungry and I get tired of him asking for MORE to eat every two hours
  • I eat cereal for breakfast, and I'm starving by the time I get to work. I hate bringing a sandwich for lunch. I swear on my iPod that I get sick from the cafeteria food in my building, every time I make a salad, or buy one of their mayo-loaded paninis. It's just not good.

So she came to see us and we sat and talked about options for each of us. She stayed for almost 2 hours and I paid her roughly what I make in two hours, having consulted my friend before hand. So it seemed like a good deal to me. The kids loved her and were very actively involved in thinking of things they like and discussing things to try.

Here are some of the ideas she gave us, which will seem basic to anyone who actually eats well, but then there are the rest of us... haha.

For my daughter:

  • waffles with peanut butter, which we were already doing fairly often on school mornings
  • a sub with (only) cheese and lettuce and some mayo is actually OK, which I hadn't thought. (You should see the looks the poor kid gets when she orders that. She just doesn't LIKE lunch meat.)
  • cooked carrots and/ or broccoli (soft for braces) with ranch dressing
  • peanut butter and banana sandwich, which she's never tried and I'll have to sell her on that idea Friday morning.
  • avocados, which I never knew were a source of soft protein(my kid won't eat eggs, no matter if they're boiled, scrambled, etc)
  • string cheese, yogurt, the usual dairy snacks like that
  • smoothies for breakfast - yogurt, frozen berries, banana, a bit of juice. The kids are pretty excited about this one and have decided we need to do this every wednesday, to break up the middle of the week.
  • hummus... this got the most extreme reaction when mentioned. However she tried a smidge today on a cracker and decided it's not bad. However the one I bought has a ton of lemon and has tahini in it. What is that, and is that why it's so spicy? I need to google. My son hated it.
  • wheat bread... which I had them eating, until a certain spouse took over most of the grocery shopping a few years back. So I need to get that back as our habit

For my son the biggest problem seems to be that he snacks on carbs only, and needs to have protein (yogurt or cheese or cream cheese) with those carbs to make them stick and avoid the blood sugar spike. Better snacks, like apples & lowfat cheese, or some other fruit combination. Also we're trying to get him on veggies and ranch dip instead of chips or those damn goldfish crackers. Now I know, what I send to school won't necessarily be what he eats, but I can encourage those things on the weekends when he's right in front of my eyeballs.

As for me, she gave me some good ideas that break away from the sandwich rut that I hate. Pasta salad with veggies and chicken, tuna, or shrimp (lite italian dressing). Hummus on a wrap or a bagel(which I had today, whole wheat bagel, not bad with a little garlic mixed in but you wouldn't want to kiss me right now - if you ever did... ) Also the protein + carb thing for a midmorning snack, which will hopefully help me at work since my boss thinks 11 - 12:30 is a PERFECT TIME for a staff meeting.

The only downside is that I just spent $200 at the market, between getting hummus and boca burgers to try, and dried fruit and nuts to make trail mix, (watch out for banana chips, they're actually DEEP FRIED... wtf ??? ) and all sorts of things that I need for our family cookout this weekend. :::thud:::

SO when I'm broke, at least we'll all be healthy.

5 comments:

emmay said...

When the tiny terror was allergic to milk & soy (meaning mommy couldn't have it because we were nursing) we had lots of healthy food in the house, and less money in the bank!!

onescrappychick said...

I love hummus.. but only the plain stuff, and only Cedars. The Joseph's stuff IMO, tastes funny. I like it with whole wheat pitta, or reduced fat wheat thins. Also, sliced vegetables. MMMM.. We have tried almost all of the different flavors, and really.. only the plain stuff does it for us.

Bananas, while good for you, are high in calories for what they are, so if you can sell her on PBB (that's what we call it.. love it at my house).. the PB, and B will put some good stuff into her.

My kids will eat just about any vegetable if it's dipped in Ranch Dressing. I buy, for this purpose.. Hidden Valley, full fat. (I use Kraft Light if it's for salads).

My son isn't a fan of lunch meat either. He'll eat Peanut Butter or Tuna every day instead. My kids like to mix up a can of tuna with some mayo... and instead of putting it on bread, they split it in half and eat it with Wheat Thins. There's some rule that equals not having more than 1 can per week, and while I try to enforce that (I do esp. with my 10 year old daughter).. with him I don't sweat it out too much.

As for the chips/goldfish.. maybe light buttered popcorn would be a better choice? I am not sure if popcorn is still considered a carb or not.. but it fulfills that "crunchy, salty" craving and is pretty low cal (if you get the light buttered stuff)

anyhow.. now that I've hijacked your comments... good luck!

Sgt said...

First of all. I'm hurt you didn't call me for consultation. I would have worked for sushi ;-)

I'm sure your friend mentioned this, but watch when you buy things like peanut butter. Some cheaper brands have higher levels of saturated fats (and lower % of peanuts)

I too hate wheat bread, but I found that "Nature's Own" (I think that is the brand) is much tastier than some of the other brands. I really liked the honey wheat by them. Not quite as dry tasting.

Your daughter sounds exactly like mine in her eating. She pretty much won't touch meat or beans which makes proteins tricky. Sometimes I can get her to eat scrambled eggs which helps but cheese and yogurt is our main vehicle.

Carly said...

Sgt do I HAVE your email? That would be "No."

:-)

Sgt said...

Such technicalities!

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...