Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Springtime, and the Blogging is easy

So, today I went for a walk around this place right up the road from my office park. I got a rather suspicious memo right before lunchtime, that read between the lines approximately like this: You Are About To Lose Your Job, We're Outsourcing Your Asses. This has been happening about once a year for the past few years. So rather than stew too much about it, I figured what the heck, "get away from it all & go for a nice walk in the park". (I blame what's his name and his post about running barefoot in the park. )

I made a pretty respectable attempt at convincing myself that things were probably going to be fine and once I calmed down just a little bit I started to enjoy the walk. Not bad, trees and such. Sunshine... for most of the walk. Then of course because I was out trying to ENJOY the sunshine, it got cloudy and I was cold. It even started to sprinkle for a minute, dammit. So I got in me effin' car and went back to work.

Anyway.

I like to people-watch wherever I am. As it so happened I saw a couple along the way that inspired me to write this entry. Not really sure why, I guess it's the whole "spring is finally here and everything's blooming and everyone is in love" thing. I'm so glad winter is over.

They were sitting on a bench up ahead of me on the path that I was using. A bit younger than I am now, and from their business attire it seemed as though they too were on their lunch break. Like me, outside enjoying a warm sunny day, sitting and talking.

I noticed him take her hand in his, and she looked startled for a second. She relaxed after a moment though, and she shifted slightly to sit a little bit closer to him. I almost wanted to high five him and say "You're SO in, buddy! She likes you too!" but that would have been SO tacky. There was something about the way he was holding her hand and gently stroking her fingers that made me get all chick-movie sentimental and think "awwww" in various permutations. (Shop Dungarees will puke if he reads this...) He was looking at her, and saying something about a pretty face, and she was blushing, and smiling. Looking pretty damn happy about the whole situation, to me. Bitch. No, I'm just kidding. Why is it women get jealous of other women so easily?

( I saw a lot before I got completely past them, because I was wearing my Super Dorky Dark sunglasses so the couple couldn't see me staring at them and being so nosy, and besides they were pretty much uninterested in anyone around them. Which would include moi.)

I remembered the excitement of a new attraction. How you look forward to seeing that person, and spend the hours in between dates thinking through everything they said and did the last time you saw them. The giddy, half-drunk feeling of euphoria you carry the rest of the day after you spend time with them.

They looked pretty happy to be sitting there together, and it sure beat anything I had planned for my exciting work afternoon(take the project plan from hell that was dumped on me, and try to manipulate it into something that makes sense). But it was nice to know someone was having a great lunch.

Lucky girl.

8 comments:

Johnny Virgil said...

Yeah, her husband and his wife aren't so lucky. It's all fun until someone loses and eye. And then it's fun you can't see.

Carly said...

::::rolling eyes::::

you just don't get it sometimes, Johnny

And WTF is that picture?

Johnny Virgil said...

I get it. I'm just having some fun with you. :) I remember that feeling well. You captured it perfectly.

armalicious said...

That is sweet! You and Shamus have really sentimental posts today!

BTExpress said...

I love the spring. Romance is in the air and women shed those winter clothes and you can actually see that they are women again.

Yeah, yeah, I know I'm slut, but you'll see I'm really a nice one, once you get to know me.

Carly said...

like I said, blame shamus for his post 'barefoot in the park' - I read it yesterday morning

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

It is an honor to be the muse for this entry! You painted a great scene, I could really feel it.

I hope the office meeting turned out to be a false alarm!

~What's His Name AKA Shamus the Barefoot in the Park Guy

Anonymous said...

Sweet post. I love sappy stuff.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...