Monday, May 23, 2005

Overkill

I got off the highway today and thought something "BIG" was going down. There's a four lane bridge I use to get over the river to my neighborhood. The roadside just before the bridge was dotted heavily with flashing red lights. Since the site typically has several tractor trailers doing annoying "back up and turn" maneuvers during rush hour, and has been the site of more than one major arson incident, it was safe to bet something significant was going on.

Nope.

They were checking inspection stickers.

There were FIVE state trooper cars and two from the local cities on either side of the bridge. OK, so about a dozen cops, checking stickers at 2:30 in the afternoon. You must be kidding me.

I felt like saying "Is there anybody watching the rest of the capital district right now?" but I thought a smartass remark like that would in all likelihood not end well for me.

4 comments:

onescrappychick said...

I made a smartass comment to a cop once. Yielded me a nice fat ticket. I don't recomend it.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes i hate the pigs, truly;

Carly said...

welllll....

I have a good friend and two of her brothers are troopers. (If I ever get pulled over speeding back to work because I spent too long at lunch I hope it's one of them.)

I just think there had to be something else going on. I just don't know what. My father in law saw news trucks just a couple of blocks over from where I was.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like where I live in Ipswich (Suffolk, England; not Massachusetts or New South Wales). All the police do there is hang around waiting for people to exceed the speed limit. This is while burglaries, drug-running, arson etc. are rife in the rougher estates and giving Ipswich the highest crime rate in the region. Lazy f*ckers.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...