Friday, April 15, 2005

Maybe you CAN have your cake and eat it too... or is it pie?

I have a little story for you. But first, did I TELL you I love Stefanie on Survivor? I do believe I have, multiple times. I want her to win SO badly - I am a total dork but yes I cried just a little when she got the letter telling her to go join the other tribe. Ok, maybe it was because I was drinking a big glass of wine as usual per viewing Survivor - but it was a great show last night. I actually think jumping down for that pizza was smart. She had to know that everyone is trying to get her on their side so they're not going to vote against her. So my girl got half a pizza pie - that is a serious calorie boost, while the others got what - one cookie dipped in milk? Of course, she probably got sick... you don't go from starving to half a pizza easily. She looks so good, all tan and lean muscle - damn, I gotta go get me stranded on an island somewhere.

So anyway, the funniest thing happened yesterday at work. I have this meeting I go to, twice a week. It's this sort of project Conception And Kickoff / Evaluation meeting where projects are initiated and estimated. We call it CAKE, but you can call it PIE, call it whatever you want.

It's a giant conference call. There are about 25 people on these calls, representing various areas of the company and we are gathered to review new projects, and determine whether the team we represent needs to be involved in said project.

Yesterday this guy - we will call him Pat - was first on the agenda. Right after he started giving an overview of his project, I noticed something wierd.

Heavy breathing.

A woman's heavy breathing. A woman who was (supposed to be) listening in on the conference call.

Clearly someone WAS having her cake and eating it too. Or at least it REALLY sounded that way - I swear. Lots of heavy breathing and even one or two slight hints of soft laughter. I got this vision in my head of someone dialed into the meeting, but at home in their bed and not Home Alone, either.... my skin was crawling.

So there's poor Pat, talking away (did ANYONE listen to him? I could NOT keep my mind on what he was saying.) And Ray, the facilitator for the meeting, either didn't notice, or couldn't stop laughing long enough to do his usual "we seem to be getting some background noise, would everyone please make sure you have muted your phone" spiel.

After maybe a minute and a half of this, Pat interrupted himself in mid sentence to blurt out "Would whoever is breathing heavy into the phone please mute your phone? I just can't concentrate!"

Suddenly, there was silence.

You know how a brief moment can seem to last a VERY long time? Bingo.

Pat cleared his throat and went on with what he was saying. I was ABSOLUTELY dying.

You just never know when a boring day at the office will turn blogworthy.

5 comments:

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

Classic.
I miss those dial-in meetings. It used to be funny to log into a meeting as "Bob Rickert" and listen to the conversations come to a screeching halt. Then I would say, "Naw, it's just Shamus.." and everybody would be all mad.

Anonymous said...

OMG that's so icky and funny.

Erik with a K said...

i personally heard urination in one meeting via conf call. swear to god.

armalicious said...

That is absolutely classic. I don't think I could have made it through the meeting, either.

Johnny Virgil said...

One of my favorites was the meeting where we were talking about building an application, and trying to decide whether to do it ourselves our hire an external company. The guy says, "We'll just build it in-house the same way we'd build an out-house."

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...