Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Sin City

:::ahem:::: A review, by Carly

So, I snuck off to go to the movies today with a friend when almost no one was looking. I picked Sin City. Friend sent me an email saying "Are you SURE that you want to see THAT movie?" but I never got the email.

First, Regal now presents 20 minutes of Things That Aren't Movie Previews before the actual previews start. Apparently Kojak is a gigundous-enormous black dude now and still has the lollipops, which made me laugh hysterically every time I saw one in his hand. Some woman in a super-ugly lime green hat was singing to him. Uh-huh. And TNN or TBS or some channel like that airs lots of cop show reruns too.

Next, real previews. (Doesn't matter what I thought looked good, I am NEVER, EVER choosing the movie again.)

Next, the actual movie.

Warning sign #1 that This Movie Is Just Not For Me. In the theater, Me, Friend, and about 5 guys, scattered across a huge stadium theater. I missed this OBVIOUS sign (no other women, this is NOT A CHICK FLICK! NOT A CHICK FLICK!) because it was a 1:20 afternoon matinee.

I had read that this movie was very good, and in part that it was good because of the graphic artist / comic book style. Mostly black and white. Except for blood, which was white blood(yeah I know that's still techincally black and white but it was a thick, glossy sort of shiny white when it was blood) red blood, or yellow blood, depending on who was bleeding and whether they were still alive and a whole bunch of symbolism that shot WAY over my puzzled little head.

Warning sign #2 that TMIJNFM - someone dies in first scene. And second scene. And third scene. I kid you not, about 50 people died in the course of this movie. That's just counting the ones you actually SAW die. There were severed heads and other things that we didn't get to experience.

Sign # 53 (after the 50 people I saw die) - in what was sure was intended to be an intense, dramatic scene, I couldn't stop wondering Is that Harry Potter? and finally had to ask Friend. Never mind.

Sign #54 - It's LONG movie. The timeline loops around and cuts in on itself at least once as far as I could tell. I know this for sure because one person I *THINK* died was in a bar later on in the movie, and one person who was in, well, Pieces, was walking around after THAT. The multiple storylines got me rather tangled up too.

By the way, if you ever pick a movie to take me to, choose one with only about four important characters and make sure they are easy to tell apart because I am stupid and will forget their names for most of the movie. I'm not kidding.

Sign #55 was a cut off finger that was given to someone, and it apparently wasn't the finger of the person I thought it was, because I never thought to look later but I don't RECALL that person missing their finger, but WTF do I know?

And gory? So this is what Stylized Violence means. It means that we won't just see hitting, we will see people get hit and then they will be leaking, spitting and otherwise extruding blood all over the place. On some level, I knew that if you hit someone enough times they will turn into mushy remains, but I did NOT want to see the mush on the ground! Even if it is in vivid colour. (Hi Marco, I spelled it that way for you.) No, make that ESPECIALLY if it is in vivid color. There were parts where I simply covered my face and whimpered "tell me when this scene is over".

Summary: Erik, Scott, and John, you guys should go see this movie together because I think you'll love it. I'm going to go rock quietly in a corner now. I may not sleep or eat for a few days. Let me know when Beaches is on tv or something...

6 comments:

armalicious said...

I haven't seen it yet, but wasn't sure if I wanted to or not, now I probably won't until it's out on DVD. I kind of figured about the dead people...it's directed by Robert Rodriguez (El Mariachi, Desperado & Once Upon a Time in Mexico - I love these 3 movies!!!) and co-directed by Quentin Tarantino. They like to kill people.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it was a little much for me. I found no pleasure in watching characters getting their heads shoved in toilet-fulls of their own excrement. Or the Timberwolf eating Harry Potter's leg-stump, or the watching the movie in general. Thankfully, I fell asleep,(this happens to me when I am extremely bored at the movies), so I missed the bloody finger part. But I did wake up to a naked Bruce Willis. To get to the point, I don't think I pay good money to see it in the dollar theater.

Johnny Virgil said...

Carly, what the HELL??? Did you not know this was based on a underground comic/graphic novel? By FRANK MILLER?? I know that means absolutely nothing to you, so I'll stop now.

Check with me next time.

Torrence said...

THanks for the heads up! I am, suprisingly, not into graphic violence. I could not watch this for more than a minute. I am TOTALLY that girl in the theatre with her hands over her face.

Sarah said...

OMG Carly I was totally going to go see this because I thought it was like a fun, action comic book movie like "Daredevil" or "Spiderman" or something-just in black and white. Then I read some reviews on it, and I was like-um, severed heads, eating hookers and pee-drownings? I don't think so. I will never, ever see this movie. I am the biggest wimp. Even just hearing about it is giving me nightmares.

Anonymous said...

I shoulda warned you, it never ever occured to me you'd go. On that note, I've had a huge poster up in my kitchen for about - what - nine years? Of Sin city for The big Fat Kill with the tag line 'sometimes standing up for your friends means having to kill a whole lot of people' and also a framed promo toe tag.

Now I feel all trendy and want to take it down, except I love it and want to leave it up. sigh. damn Hollywood.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...