Friday, April 08, 2005

The post about how we almost watched the Pope's funeral

Well, the kids and I got up at 3:45 to see the Pope's funeral. Kid 1 is ten, and Kid 2 is seven. So I had a deal with them that they would walk out to the couch with me, we'd turn on the tv, and see if we could keep each other awake.

I probably sabotaged myself because I drank two glasses of wine while I was watching Stephanie kick Bobby John's ass. I want her to win so badly. I hope she picks of the other tribe one by one and eats the flesh off their bones. (Now see, I wouldn't have said that if I hadn't seen Sin City. ) I almost didn't care about Apprentice. I think Tana should win, but it's getting boring to watch the other idiots.

Anyway, back to my house, 3:45 am today

The kiddos were a little hesitant but I am annoying and all, and reminded them that they didn't have school today because of the funeral, and poked them until they kept their part of the bargain. I flicked on the tv, and it took me a few minutes to find a station that wouldn't have damn commentators yakking all through the entire thing. (That REALLY pissed me off during Reagan's services. Some moron saying "And now we're seeing the family weeping." I know, dammit, shut up.) So I settled on MSNBC.

We were on the couch and after the kids elbowing me for a while it got too crowded. (It's not a couch, pudding pop, it's a love seat, and if you know who sang that song you can mock me with the name of the singer.) I went to the Lazyboy, which is aptly named. I started falling asleep. At one point D popped up out of nowhere at my elbow and almost gave me a heart attack. "Mommmm, you said we'd all try to stay awake."

Well the adrenaline from THAT little jolt kept me going until about 5:10 but I started to lose it. ( I felt bad because it looked like a really beautiful ceremony, but at least it's in the dvr. )About 5:25 I jolted awake - you know how you're falling asleep and you sort of shake yourself awake BECAUSE you're falling asleep, and it's a crappy feeling? They were both asleep so I took pity on them and put them back in their beds. I made it a few more minutes, enough to see a chant we actually sing at my church (it's the Agnus Dei which is part of the communion piece of the mass). That was cool but I still felt like crap, so, back to bed for me. Mr. C sort of laughed at me but not too much.

Of course, my most annoying acquaintace called at 9:10 when I was just getting into some good REM sleep. No, you can not stop by, I didn't invite you over and I am sleeping and I don't want your kid breaking my stuff. But that's a post for another day.

2 comments:

David Tellez said...

I love the Barry Manilow and K.T. Oslin's take on that song! With minimal jazz arangement and so much crazy swinging-60s banter, it's practically performance art!

armalicious said...

I'm a bad Catholic...I did not wake up early to watch. On the other hand, I did watch Stephanie kick Bobby Jon's ass...that was pretty sweet!

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...