Monday, January 16, 2006

The nose knows

I'm crazy about Yankee Candles. I can't walk in the store for under $25. Bad, bad. I went to the megamall near me today and the YC store is huuuuuge. It calls to me, like a mermaid on the rocks. The kids sort of sigh and grumble about "when can we go to build-a-bear?" and I say "just one more minute... ooooh - smell this!"

I like the holiday ones like Cranberry Chutney and Mistletoe. The autumn ones like Mom's apple pie, or some of the Vanillas. (no on the pumpkin or coffee ones, though...) My other favorites are the florals - roses, lilac, tulips(lovvvvvvve tulips) , calla lily, and now they have Lotus. Which, of course, I bought today. Bad!

The best part of the trip, though, was when we were walking through the mall, I noticed two mall security guards, and one was carrying a package. It registered dimly, the way a slight static does, that this was Not Right. Guards don't shop while they're on duty. When we got about 15 feet past the two guards I heard a scuffle and turned back around. They were wrestling some teenage shoplifter to the ground - I guess they'd been taking her back to the security office and she tried to bolt when the crowd had gotten thick around them.

The expression on my kids face was priceless. Jaws hanging open, eyes 4" wide as they watched someone kneeling on her back, handcuffing her.

It was a beautiful Teaching Moment: "That is what happens when you steal from a store. They're going to lock her up, then call the police, then her parents.
The police will get here first."

1 comment:

Jess Riley said...

Hi! I saw your comment on Manic Mom's blog and had to pop over to tell you that I get the same backrub line. :)

Or a wheedling, sing-song, "I'll scratch your back!"

Hilarious.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...