Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Anon

Why is it that some people feel compelled to make fun of other people? Where does the smug superiority come from?

When I get off the elevator I have to swipe a badge to get through glass doors before I can walk to my office. For quite some time now (a couple of years) there have been these golden reindeer, each one about 18" tall, arranged in various scenarios in that lobby you stand in when you get off the elevators.

(Actually in the very beginning it looked more like reindeer games, if you know what I mean. Now they're more "cutesy" scenes, nothing even needing a PG-13 rating )

Listen. It sounds stupid, and I admit that I've said that they're dumb. They've been in various scenes for holidays, (trick or treating and so forth), and right now they're "dressed up" for an upcoming dinner/dance that management is having next month, free for employees & spouses.

It's not my thing. But someone thinks it's fun, and apparently they've got friends who have said "oh, that's cute" "that's funny" or whatever because this has been going on a long time and I saw at least 3 women working on this particular scene last week. So, fine. I don't really care what they do with the reindeer. For all I know, in my company, it could be a line item on someone's annual review to do the decorations there in that lobby area. It really wouldn't surprise me.

But back to the point -- yes, Suzy, I know I never get to the point.. :-)


Someone felt compelled to write a note and leave it in the middle of the display today, saying something like "to whom it may concern... please kill us before we have to face another costume change, signed, the golden reindeer".

It just annoyed me, and still annoyed me (which is why I still think I know who did it, even though I know he'll never admit it to me). It smacks of cowardice to leave an anonymous note, bagging on something that someone is just doing something for fun and to try to make things a little nicer for other people. If you don't think it's funny, who are you to harrass the people who do? (If you're a FRIEND of the people decorating the damn golden reindeer, fine, take them aside in person and say gee, don't you think this joke is getting a little old?", sure...) Why take the time to type a note, print it out, sneak out there, and tape it to the display? Who's the real loser here, honestly? (Me, I guess, I'm blogging about it all...)

So ANYWAY, I took the note. It bothered me, and I took it and threw it away.

I was hoping that the people who DO decorate the damn reindeer didn't see it, won't hear about it, and just generally don't even have part of their day ruined by a faceless coward who just felt compelled to make someone feel stupid.

Because I've been the person who gets bagged on, and all through highschool I had to practice not letting on when someone has hurt my feelings, and it sucks mightily. I guess I'm not "cool", but I've never been cool, and if being cool means being a malicious jerkoff, I don't want to be cool.

Besides, my kids think I'm cool. And the eccentric lady at the supermarket who left her purse in her shopping cart thought I was cool when I handed it back to her. The clerk who was helping her look for it thought I was extremely cool, because I took a huge headache off his hands. And even though my kids made fun of me all the way home (repeating "OH, you're an ANGEL" in the same tone of voice that The Lady used while I was telling my kids get.in.the.car... through gritted teeth, over and over...) it was soooo different. Just not the same at all.

1 comment:

mckay said...

your kids will always know you as a good person. even if they tease you for it, secretly they're proud of you :) the one time i blew a gasket and ragged on about someone, my daughter was shocked and said, "mom! you never say anything mean about anyone!" i felt bad for losing it, but good that she's noticed i'm usually a nice person.


but....
if you discover the dork who left the note, you should get some horrendous little critters and decorate his office/cubicle...all cutesy with bows. superglue them to his desk....

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...