Wednesday, January 25, 2006

New Moon, Blue Moon



Why do calendars show us when there will be a new moon, or a full moon.... is this pertinent information to anyone outside of a delivery room??

It's certainly not as useful as, say, the possible fact (is that an oxymoron?) that antibacterial gel will take permanent marker off almost anything... according to my 8 year old son. I'm wondering exactly why he needed this knowledge, but I'm also afraid to ask... and why does it work? Is it the alcohol?

Did you know that Jan 23 is one of the most gloomy days of the year? (Post-Christmas blues, the return to work after the holidays, mounting bills to pay for the parties, the challenge of keeping New Year's resolutions, the slender prospects of fun in the weeks ahead and chilly winter temperatures for those in the northern hemisphere all add up...)

Maybe we're just fascinated with the moon. Hanging up there, almost close enough to touch, but always just out of reach. Somehow, I just like knowing it's there.

1 comment:

onescrappychick said...

Those of us that work with children, keep a close eye on the moon. You'd be amazed at how a full moon affects a building full of kids. Love the photo!

As for the gloomiest day... Feb. is my worst month. No one day, the whole month. I'm ready for spring.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...