Sunday, March 25, 2007

Not a real green dress, that's cruel

Perhaps you've heard the Barenaked Ladies version of "If I had a million dollars" (used by an old NYS lottery commercial...)

Yesterday it came on Sirius while I was driving with my daughter. One nice feature of my radio is that I can "rewind" and play a song over, say 3 or four times, singing it progressively louder to my pre-teen who tried to pretend that she was soooo annoyed and I'm sooo not cool, but was secretly loving every second of Mom acting like somewhat of a jackass.

I had to explain one or two lines two her, like the title of this post. (Verse 1, I'd buy you a fur coat, but not a real fur coat, that's cruel...verse 2, I'd buy you a green dress.... )

But yes, I suceeded in implanting it firmly in her brain, and today, she wanted it on her iPod. Mwahahaha. If only I could use my powers for good.

6 comments:

D-HOR said...

Oh sometimes I feel dumb.

I get the fur thing. So what is the "green"thing.

P.S. please don't be disheartened by one of your readers lack of intelligence, the rest of them are most likely much smarter.

P.S.S. I always love feeling stupid at 7:30 in the morning. Thanx.

;)

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

My kids love that song too. Especially the line:

"I will buy you a monkey...

Haven't you always wanted a monnnnnnkey??"

Carly said...

Lindy,
the whole point is that they were just being silly and pretending that something about a green dress could be cruel. BNL are like that. Large portions of their songs are goofy and don't make sense. They're hilarious.

If it makes you feel better, my daughter is a 6th grader and she didn't get it either. But, both of you may still in fact be smarter than a 5th grader. Go ahead and try out for that game show.

:-)

Shamus, actually, no, I have never wanted a monkey. Sooorry!

onescrappychick said...

oh friggen A... ROFL. I've been a BNL fan since they first were a band it seems... and my kids grew up listening to all their music.. the good, the bad and the ugly. Million dollars is one of their faves! LOL

Alisa said...

BNL is some good sing along stuff. (Yes I sing along, loudly and poorly, in the car with the sun roof open... and enjoy the looks of horror on people in other cars).

Now I have $1 Million Dollars stuck in my head.

D-HOR said...

Your 6th grader? Oh thank you I feel so much better. :) Uh the 5th grader show? How about "MOST" of the time.

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...