Monday, April 30, 2007

Attacked by a giant butterfly

Yesterday I walked in a "walkathon" for March of Dimes... it was at a nice park I drive to once in a while on my lunch hour. Unfortunately it was gray and dreary and rather windy. (The big luck was that we didn't get rained on.) I had considered jogging part of the walk to continue training for the Freihofer's (that's June 2, Lindy), but scrapped that idea because it was just an ugh day weatherwise, and I was exhausted from the baby shower Saturday.

I was part of a group that included my friend's family. She had a giant butterfly-shaped helium balloon attached to her stroller, probably 2 feet across the wingspan, and that thing whapped me in the face maybe 20 times. It was hilarious.

Her 3 year old is beautiful, but watch out. Dolly (no, not her real name, but to me her pretty little face looks like a china doll) had on a little denim jacket with some floral embroidery that was sweet. She must have liked her ensemble just as it was, thank you very much. When I tried to put a pink "I was a preemie" sort of t-shirt on her(they were being handed out), she initially nodded when I asked if she wanted to wear it. But as soon as I put it over her head and touched her hand to put one arm through a sleeve, everything short-circuited. Her intended message of "not over my coat you fool, get this thing OFF of me, NOW!" came through loud and clear in the body language and some screaming (me, as well as her... I was hiding behind the stroller, whimpering for just a second. )

My next mistake was letting her mother walk away while Dolly had a balloon tied to her wrist. Dad was holding her, and she suddenly thrust her arm out at me, purposefully. "You want this off, sweetheart?" I cooed, as I reached to untie the knot. The yes came out as something that can loosely be translated to "It burns! It burns! Remove this torturous object from my person!!" Luckily, I got the knot untied before the flames shot out of her mouth.

Wow. Just wow. I miss having a baby, if only for the sheer excitement of never knowing what will happen next.

And she was so damn cute in that denim jacket.

2 comments:

D-HOR said...

OK off the hook. :) I'm going to save up for the one in June so I can for real request that you flap your wings like a chicken when you have to stop and walk.

So keep on keepin on so that you can jog the whole thing and not have to be a chicken.

Consider it your new inspiration! :)

:) have a good one.

emmay said...

dolly is a bit moody, I agree. she did, however, have a temp of 102 after we got home, so I will cut her just a little slack, just this once. but, yes, watch out!

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...