Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Ketchup

So let's see... where are we?

I

am

on

vacation!

For 10 days I do not have to think about our 6 month project backlog, billing lines, or any nonsense related to the word "reorganization". I do not have to mull over the senior executive who LITERALLY held up an iPod at a site meeting recently and asked us if we knew what it was, because it represented true innovation. Yeah, um, a few years back it did.

So now I move on to the manic phase I enter initially, for almost every vacation. I call it The List Thing, a state wherein I make long lists of everything I've been meaning to do for literally the past 17 or so years (since I moved into this house).

Oh yes. THIS vacation, I will clean out the attic and the garage AND plant a beautiful garden. I will also need to plan a school dance, a baby shower, and work on no less than 3 "art" projects, probably more like five when you count the ones I *WANT* to do. Spring cleaning(shampoo all the rugs), catching up on all of those videos I've borrowed... oh, and running. Yes, running. It's going to be cold and rainy for the next several days. Dammit.

In a few days I will get a grip and reframe a more realistic plan. Perhaps I'll even spend a day on my couch watching reruns of every episode of both the american AND the british Office series(es?). Sadly, I'm even planning THAT in the back of my mind. This day would be better than that day...

Oh, as for the AFD prank on my son... we were kind. Mid afternoon we explained to him (about the 5th time he asked for help with his clock) that ... the bags in the cereal boxes were all switched around this morning because TODAY was April Fool's day, not tomorrow. We couldn't let him go to school and talk about March 32.

We did get a great deal of mileage out of the joke though. Before we clued him, in we had two separate people "spontaneously" bring it up in conversation with him. Then at church someone asked a woman "what is today's date?" and she replied "March 32, remember?" and neither of them actually included D in their conversation; he was just nearby. It was awesome. He completely bought it. We broke him gently, and I told him that all of the people involved liked him, because he's a good kid and fun to be around, and if people didn't like him none of these grownups would have bothered making an April Fool's day joke work for him. SO, he didn't cry. He was a little peeved, but not too much. I promised him that next year we'll get them back. Hah.

So I'm going to go sing tonight, and then tomorrow, and then the next day, and then the day after that. And EVEN the day after that -- but that afternoon (Sunday) I'm going to sit on my couch, eat candy, and drink wine.

It's all right on my list.


PS: Get well soon Amelia!!

3 comments:

onescrappychick said...

We have exactly 46 more school days until the year is over.. but more important.. there are exactly 16 more days (weekends included) until vacation. Looking forward to those 9 days will get me through the 16 previous ones. Unfortunatly I can't plant my garden (although I did start seeds this week and order plants for the yard)... and The Boy wants to paint Ms. Thang's bedroom (what kind of vacation is that?!) Happy Singing... if you don't make an appearance bw now and then.. Happy Easter!

Williebee said...

Every see the Tom Sullivan movie? (If You Could See What I Hear.) When Darling Child was 15 we got a group of folk involved in convincing her that there really was a left and a right sock. (You have to feel for the big toe spot....)

We told her later that it was payback for puberty.

emmay said...

Thanks Carly. Enjoy your vaca

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...