Monday, April 13, 2009

Because I am exasperating like that

So my nephew slept over last night, because of spring break and his father having to work today. At around 8 when he wandered out to where I was sitting(yes, checking web pages and stuff...) , I woke up my son and said "Keep your cousin company - we have other days to sleep in this week. " Then I told my nephew that we would do breakfast and showers, and at 10 am I would sit with him at the kitchen table while he did his math homework (from the tutor...the boy is failing math).

I sat and read two chapters of a "For Dummies" book about making your own web pages, because my friend needs one for his business. Mostly I wanted to be there and supportive /accessible, and not off somewhere doing something percieved to be "more fun". I answered a couple of "I don't get this one" questions, and then we were done, within about 40 minutes.

My brother in law called at 11, to make sure we hadn't forgotten R's daily medication and I sort of casually rattled off that we'd done breakfast, showers, and the homework. He was amazed. "How did you get him to do all that?" I do not understand the question.

I made it clear that "this is what we are doing today", and that was it. No anger, or threats, just "here is what I expect". My kids know that I don't tolerate nonsense. If I feed you, you will help me clean it up afterward. If I say "it's time to do laundry", or just generally clean stuff up, you will help with that too. Why should I be running around in circles while they sit on their arse watching tv? Of course this is easier now that they are all older.

After lunch (I ordered pizza, I love my guy who delivers) we all went for a walk. I noticed that my daughter AND her cousin both inherited some sort of S family trait where when walking the right foot lands at about a 45 degree angle outward rather than straight ahead. Of COURSE I pointed that out... they were not amused.

No comments:

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...