Monday, February 14, 2005

Cupid Rhymes with Stupid...

Who is the sap who replaced the first O in Google with a heart made of roses for Valentine's Day? Sheesh. On behalf of single people everywhere, especially the best sister in the universe, let me post THIS in reply:

I'll send flowers

It's not that I am Anti-Valentine. I got flowers today from Mr. C and they're very nice. Tonight I'm going to make him tuna steaks with homemade bread and also some zuchini/squash/eggplant stuff on the side.

In addition I actually spoke to an old boyfriend of almost 20 years ago today and almost closed with "Happy Valentines Day - I still love you" just to see how much of a reaction I'd get. (What? I'm KIDDING - he called me about a work thing and it was all very professional.We only went on about 3 dates so really, nothing to see here, move along folks.)

My objection is primarily to the Hallmarkification of the holiday. You know, the "I have to give X a card/gift for Valentine's day." We spent $30 last night on Valentines for classmates and teachers. (B decided at about 6 pm that other kids MIGHT bring in something, and what if she didn't have anything, and oh by the way she has a student teacher too, and we can't leave her out. So we can't have her bring in gifts and not my son, and then the school secretary is a good friend of ours and the kids wanted to give HER something. Oy vey.) Now if I had PLANNED for this I might have been able to get some nice little Yankee candles (less than $10 apiece if you get the small ones). Alas, hubby was off to the supermarket for candy and candles that weren't anywhere near as nice.

My other gripe is that basically if you're single you can't get away from Valentine's day hooplah. It's everywhere, even GOOGLE. Yeah, let's rub salt in the wounds of every single person, huh? We won't even let them do a search without remind them that They Are Losers Because They're Single and It's V-Day.

If you are single, do what my sister is doing. Redo a room in your apartment and revel in the fact that you can do whatever you want and you don't have to negotiate with anyone (she picked out purple paint, apparently....) Flip off Cupid and have a great day anyway!!

1 comment:

David Tellez said...

Damn...could you bring any more pain to the single people of the world, with your Al Capone story?!

LMAO...kidding!

P.S. Thanks for checking out my blog!

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...