Friday, February 25, 2005

Good Meds & bad TV

Wednesday I called for a doctor appointment and was told to come at 5:00 Thursday. OK. Made Mr. C come home early to stay with the kids, which was good because I waited an hour and a half. I didn't think it would be that long because after only about 15 minutes the nurse took my temp (actually she waved that thing NEAR my ear, barely touched it, didn't look at it, and wrote down 98.6.... I am never really THAT warm...) You know you really are sick when the nurse tells you that you look terrible.

There was a guy in the waiting room who reeked of cigarettes, which was just setting off my cough reflex over and over. There was a woman in really ugly clogs who limped in when it was her turn and I heard her say before the door closed "My feet hurt so much." It's the shoes, woman. I don't need to go to med school to solve that mystery.

So when I finally got to see Dr. he cheerfully explained that he stays late Tuesday and Thursday and lets all of the "sick people" come after 5. Hmmm. Fascinating. I hacked in his waiting room for an hour and a half. Mind you I live about 3 blocks away so if the nurse had said "Come at 6:10" I would have been fine with that.

I love my doctor... well not THAT way but maybe if given the chance... as I have said previously he is funny and smart and has always effectively treated our problems. I am already feeling slighty better, except my ribs are starting to ache from trying in vain to expel the alien. I now feel like someone is standing on my face, rather than stomping and grinding the heel of a workboot into my right eyesocket. Lots of pressure in the sinuses. Waaah! Doc gave me decongestant that won't make my heart pound AND he gave me antibiotics I only need to take once a day.

Short hits - Apprentice .... I, I, I am fired? No one TOLD ME there were other scenes? Buh bye. Stephanie's father owns a plane? Not coherent enough to pick up on what was said about that but I covet her beautiful hair.

And for stunning contrast, on Survivor... that girl with the tatoos is SO gross. Why can't she keep her shirt on, not to mention her shorts? Just that little fuzzy digitized blob over her ill fitting tacky red bra makes me want to lose what little food I managed to put down. The bottoms are ten thousand times worse, and then when she raised her arm and showed her COMPLETELY unshaved underarm, my entire little family screamed "Ewwww!" in unison. Someone should tell her she isn't bikini material. I have this sinking feeling that she is going to be in the show for a long time, because the producer already focused on how she feels like an outsider, she is redeeming herself by performing well in the challenges, etc. Oh, the horror.

Yesterday I saw all sorts of truly bad TV. Tony Danza sings this really dorky thing on his talk show, about being optimistic. Apparently he does this often because the crowd sings along. (He clearly hasn't seen Angie on Survivor. There is no hope for a good side there.) Click.

Suzanne Summers marketing really ugly clothes. Leather! :::shudder::: Click.

The chick who played Anna Scorpio trying to sell an abs workout machine. Canned dialogue about how hard it is to keep your figure after pregnancy, from someone who is about a size six. Smack. Click.

The most horrifying use of my Time Warner fee:

Ambush Makeover... I kid you not. Your loving family or dearest friend submits a video saying that you're a freak and you need to be made over, and then a situation is staged where you are publicly humiliated by a rude person who then kidnaps you to do a makeover. I'd reach for the mace in my purse, frankly. Yeah, I know that you all know I do NOT carry mace because I'd probably manage to incapacitate MYSELF rather than anyone threatening me. Just go with it.

They re-did a 65 year old Vegas waitress to celebrate her retirement. She started with a three foot tall Dolly wig and spackle makeup. Oh, and really bad teeth accented by a mole that she covered with black eyeliner. I kid you not, I can't make this stuff up. Out of morbid curiousity I stayed to make sure that yes, she didn't look so bad when they finished with her. Then I shut off the tv.

Have a good weekend, kids!

6 comments:

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

oooo survivor is getting good! Half the suspense was wondering if those tiny black straps on her bikini (? - not sure if it's underwear or swimwear) is going to hold on. You bet your torch she'll be around a while, she's a survivor! She might be my current favorite, her or Ian, who dragged out grabbing the flint from the ocean bottom into a long saga when he could have got it on the first try. You're not folling anyone, Poindexter.
The show is so good this year I've been watching on Sat nights for the replay. Yes, I have no social life.

David Tellez said...

You know what show you should've seen last night? "Stars Without Makeup"! It was on FOX last night, and it was sooooooo good! Nothing cheers me up than to see Cher, covered in face cream and yelling at a camera. And who doesnt like to see Britney, walking in public with zit cream on her face? My absolute fave is when they show the ex-Spice Girls, squeezing their fat...

They say karma's a bitch, but I love it!

Carly said...

the Spice girls are WRONG on so many levels....

Anonymous said...

d.t. I watched that, too lol

As for Suzanne Summers clothing, I don't understand who buys that or any of the clothing on HSN and similar channels.

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA! Seriously, you need to write a column for a newspaper or magazine.
(Unfortuneatly, I miss out on the joys of prime time tv. My husband watches sports obsessively whenever he's home.)

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with hairy armpits on a woman? A real, natural woman, the way God made her? They're very sexy!

Things will get better... right?

I distinctly remember a day in... maybe February?  I remember the moment, but not what day it was. I was sitting at work thinking about plan...